Fly Tying
primeflycompany

Interview with Charlie Craven

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to share a post with the group. It's a pretty long interview I did with legendary fly tyer, author, and fly shop owner Charlie Craven, owner of Charlie's Fly Box discussing fly design, his thought process, and what he thinks people can do to tie better flies. I hope you enjoy- he's a hoot but you can't argue with results.

Dan- owner Prime Fly

My pleasure. I have about 10 other interviews going up in the weeks to come, and new ones are being put together as we speak.

I have interviews with tyers including Pat Dorsey, Jonathan Kiley of Fly Skinz, Gunnar Brammer, Andreas Andersson, Oskar Hagelin, Brian Kozminski, Brandon Bailes, Robert Strahl, Nacho Heredo, and Matt Grajewski (Adaptive Flies).

Currently working on and planning interviews with Tim Barker (Planet Trout blog), Rupert Harvey (UK Flies), Samuel Looper (Looper Flies), Josh Varner, Fabian Moulin, Josh Miller, Johnny Klepper, just to name a few.

I look forward to checking them out! Any chance there is an A.K. Best interview in the works?

I look forward to checking them out! Any chance there is an A.K. Best interview in the works?

I would love to interview him. His book Production Fly Tying was the one source that helped me start my fly tying workshop. That said I dont have his contact information so Im not sure its possible.

I would love to interview him. His book Production Fly Tying was the one source that helped me start my fly tying workshop. That said I dont have his contact information so Im not sure its possible.

AK would be a good one, for much the same reason you stated. I’d imagine Charlie or Pat Dorsey would have some intel on catching up with him.

The Craven article was great -- nice job. Your future list of interviews looks fantastic.

Kelly Gallop, Blaine Chocklett, Harrison Steeves, Harry Murray, Bob Clouser, and Chuck Kraft would be a few I might suggest for down the line.

Keep them coming.

^Thank you to everyone who checked it out. Shmang- I agree, those would be incredible. I think Chuck Kraft would be pretty wild, his designs are pretty far out but just hammer fish.

I haven't started letting people know, but I just published my interview with Pat Dorsey.

Daniel - Thanks for the Dorsey article - another fine interview. You have a knack for bringing out the passion in the the subject with your questions.

My favorite question was when you asked how many patterns he took to the water as that I something that I was wondering - with skills like that I would be he has a dozen of each pattern from size 18 to 26 and although tiny it all adds up. The photo of the box with all of the Prince Nymphs was cool.

Keep them coming...............