Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Stonfo Bobtec 1 squeeks . when I pull for more thread

stonfo bobtec 1

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SpokaneDude

SpokaneDude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 11:12 AM

I just bought a Stonfo Bobtec 1 bobbin, which I really like. The only problem is that when pressure is applied to the adjustment to tighten the spool bearings, it squeaks when I pull for more thread. I don't want to apply any oil to the spool bearings for fear of contaminating the thread. Any ideas how to prevent this? SpokaneDude

#2 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,671 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 11:15 AM

twist a tapered candle in the holes of the spool

vert fine coat of vaseline ob the bobbin holder spool burronts

rub a lead pencil (graphite) on the bobbin holder spool buttoms

Rub a finger on the side of your nose to remove the facial oil an apply it to the bobbin buttons

now you think of other ideas

Respect someones else's ideas. We are all different people. Your way is not the only way.

Never argue with a self proclaimed expert

#3 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,671 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 11:22 AM

89-squeaky-bobbin.jpg

Respect someones else's ideas. We are all different people. Your way is not the only way.

Never argue with a self proclaimed expert

#4 SpokaneDude

SpokaneDude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for the wax suggestion; however, I found that it "greases" the connection between the spool bearings and the thread spool, thereby nullifying the effect of the pressure sleeve.  However, the last two, pencil lead and facial oil have promise, and I'm going to try them next.

I would have replied sooner, but the forum was down for several hours.

SD

#5 TIER

TIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 05:37 PM

SD, it's been like that for a longggggg time. I have the same problem with my bobbin.

1. The captain is always right

2. It's the deckhand's fault

#6 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 11:10 PM

I have that exact bobbin and love it, I also get a squeak and have started to enjoy the sound. Haha!

Fly fishing and fly tying videos
www.McFlyAngler.com

#7 FWALSH

FWALSH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:03 PM

A bit of candle wax in the thread spool holes stops the noise for me .

#8 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 07:59 PM

A very long time ago, I seem to recall discs of thin teflon coated plastic that could be placed between the legs of the bobbin and the holes in tying thread spool to stop squeeking and to smooth the rotation of the thread spool when using the bobbin.

Do I wonder if masking off the spools of thread and spraying the spool ends with a dry teflon coating would do the same thing. Or spraying the bobbin legs that insert into the spool.

https://www.amazon.c...df_B003UTX0R8/?

Attached Thumbnails

• 81014a76-b9ec-4917-adac-aadc61e85828.jpg._CB528249705_.jpg

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v