Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

What is your go to bugger tail?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 05:25 PM

A wooly bugger is marabou, chenille, hackle.

amen

There are bugger variants though he bugger which could include and mean variants not just the traditional woolly bugger.

#17 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,174 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 06:22 PM

I pull hairs from rabbit strips when marabou is in low stock.

Had a lot of ups and downs in your stocks, during your 1 year of tying? wink.png

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#18 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 07:32 PM

I feel like ups and downs are more likely to happen when you start out especially if you're on a budget.

#19 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 09:03 PM

A wooly bugger is marabou, chenille, hackle.

amen

There are bugger variants though he bugger which could include and mean variants not just the traditional woolly bugger.

My point exactly. Rabbit is a soft fur that moves great in the water. I use it for micro jigs and many flies. Opossum is another great material that is longer but works great for wooly bugger variants. 

#20 petelangevin

petelangevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 10:01 PM

Taunton is not a quick ride for me, We had 3 or 4 shops in boston and within a short period of time they all closed. I honestly have never been to bears den. I will make an effort to go down.

#21 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 09:56 AM

Size 14, 12 I use the fluff from saddle hackle in place of the marabou. 

#22 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 11:15 AM

Read all of the posts on buggers then remembered that there's a pattern that I've always considered to be a bugger variant that I use a lot in saltwaters (mostly in size #4).  It might spark some ideas for those that fish buggers and will definitely do when there's lots of small fry in the waters you fish... This is my version of Norm Zeigler's famous Crystal Schminnow... It's a go to basic pattern for folks on the west coast of Florida tossing flies at big snook along gulf shore beaches.  We use it in the Everglades for lots of small tarpon (and anything else chewing on small bait - bay anchovies mostly) - many call them "rain baits" because of the tiny dimples they leave at the surface when they're along shallow edges by the thousands and thousands...  Because of the needs when fishing tight to mangrove lined shorelines - all of mine sport a wire weedguard... but still have that maribou tail... 

4SSXs4c.jpg

the Crystal Schminnow, my version... Those longer maribou fibers are sitting on a short, very sparse bit of white calftail to prevent fouling by the maribou.  The body is medium crystal chenille (or large if desired).  I'll bet almost any color will find hungry fish... but I stick with white and pearl for the body... 

Noted as well that there was a mention of not finding the maribou at one location or other.. As long as we all eat turkey - we'll have maribou forever - since that's where this relatively inexpensive material comes from.  For those forced to order their materials on line (or from catalogs) just look for strung maribou blood quill... I've also seen more than a few catalogs over the years that feature maribou specifically for buggers - that's a bit smaller.... being a salty type I favor the 4" blood quill (and for years have bought it by the pound as a commercial tyer...).

Lastly, have to make a mention of Norm Zeigler's fly shop on Sanibel Island for anyone visiting Florida - it's the go -to place for many, many fly anglers wanting to wade fish snook and other species along the gulf coast.  Here's their home site....

I've never met Norm - but he has a great reputation among folks I know... 

Tight lines Bob LeMay (954) 435-5666

#23 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 11:29 PM

I never thought of calf tail as an anti-fouling tool. I have used mono loops. I like that idea, Captain.
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach

#24 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 07:45 AM

I have never liked that mono anti-fouling loop that some recommend.  Anytime I'm doing patterns with soft tailing (maribou, rabbit strip, etc.) materials I much prefer a sparse amount of bucktail, calftail, or even a synthetic like the old FishHair instead of a mono loop....  Choose a color that exactly matches the soft material and the hair underneath won't even be noticed when the fly is done or when it is fished... All the hair does is provide a resting place for the softer materials when they get wet and and mostly prevent them from wrapping around the hook (fouling).  Any time you see a rabbit strip pattern of mine it will always have that sparse under wing of hair of some sort...

One of the things about guiding is that you get to see exactly how your bugs perform in all kinds of conditions so you learn over time what works....

#25 Edward Snowden

Edward Snowden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 08:01 AM

Thanks Captain, using a stiffer hair to prop up the fine fibers of marabou is a genius tip. 

#26 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 03:54 PM

It works very well - and is quick to tie... Here's a pic of my Swamp Rabbit tarpon fly - you'll clearly see the hair under the rabbit in a few places... This was one of my royalty patterns... until it didn't sell well enough... We did them in five colors all told..

2ypZVkw.jpg