Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Dying Pine Squirrel Zonker Strips ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 robow7

robow7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 03:37 PM

Has anyone ever been successful in dying pine squirrel zonker strips ?  I would love to come up with a white, or as close to white as possible, zonker strip.  Of course there is rabbit and even micro rabbit strips but was just curious if it possible.  As always, thank you for your input.

#2 SBPatt

SBPatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 05:04 PM

If you want white you’re going to have to bleach it; don’t think you can dye something white.

Regards,
Scott
Canon Powershot SD750; Ott + 2 clamp-on lights

#3 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,670 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 05:34 PM

never mind

Respect someones else's ideas. We are all different people. Your way is not the only way.

Never argue with a self proclaimed expert

#4 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 05:55 PM

how about ermine zonker strips. Ermine, for those that don't know are weasels after they turn white in the winter. I bet you can get ermine skins on eBay.

#5 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,670 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 07:41 PM

Skipper-800x675.jpg

Respect someones else's ideas. We are all different people. Your way is not the only way.

Never argue with a self proclaimed expert

#6 robow7

robow7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:50 PM

If you want white you’re going to have to bleach it; don’t think you can dye something white.

I think you're correct, the more proper term would be to bleach it somehow.

#7 TIER

TIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 05:16 PM

If I was allowed to trap ermine on my proporty I would give the skin to you guys.

1. The captain is always right

2. It's the deckhand's fault

#8 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 05:34 PM

http://flyanglersonl...omdeschaine.php
http://www.uky.edu/~...yfish/petti.htm
https://www.washingt...?threads/14973/
Fly-Tying Materials: Their Procurement, Use, and Protection by Eric Leiser
 Dyeing and Bleaching Natural Fly-Tying Materials by  A. K. Best, John Gierach

or

If you know a professional beautician she/he will have the materials and skills, it's basically peroxiding hair.

#9 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 05:41 PM

Got curious and did a quick check of my wholesaler (Wapsi Fly)...  They list natural pine squirrel, and 12 dyed colors of pine squirrel zonkers - but no white or bleached ones.... The interesting thing is that among all the various zonkers they supply to fly shops around the world are both Mink zonkers and micro Mink zonkers - and they do come in white among other colors... Since most fly shops stock items from Wapsi you might find that your local shop can get them for you... 

As a saltwater tyer I make my own zonker strips when needed - but only in rabbit... What I just learned is that my wholesaler (and by implication other outfits) have a much wider variety of zonkers than I knew of... Pine squirrel, Mink, Gray Squirrel, Rabbit, and even possum as well as finn raccoon.... Who knew?

Hope this helps

Tight lines Bob LeMay (954) 435-5666