Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mikechell

exceeding attachments limit?

Just a note to any of you who post pictures directly from your computer. You have a "folder" that all your posted pictures resides in.

Mine was fine until a couple of days ago. Then, I was unable to post new pictures. I went to "my settings" and opened "Manage Attachments".

I had 1679 attachments, since early 2014.

I had to delete more than 1000 of them before I started getting a blue "bar" instead of a red one.

I don't know why it, just now, decided I was over my limit. Just a notice to you: If you note that you can't post photos, you'll probably have to do what I did.

Just a note to any of you who post pictures directly from your computer. You have a "folder" that all your posted pictures resides in.

Mine was fine until a couple of days ago. Then, I was unable to post new pictures. I went to "my settings" and opened "Manage Attachments".

I had 1679 attachments, since early 2014.

I had to delete more than 1000 of them before I started getting a blue "bar" instead of a red one.

I don't know why it, just now, decided I was over my limit. Just a notice to you: If you note that you can't post photos, you'll probably have to do what I did.

I have a long ways to go before that happens, I think there might be 4 photos in mine, if that !

Do the pictures you delete from your folder still appear on the thread or is that thread then useless?

I knew there was a limit per attachment but you're saying that there overall number and/or size is limited too? I've been posting from computer since PB decided to change.

Semi-related question - I noticed that only a thumbnail gets posted in the actual thread when I upload to a response. But I see (especially KIMO's) pictures are inserted INTO the thread - is this because that pic resides on a hosted site similar to PB or the like?

thanks

BCT

He probably uses a host, I do the same thing. I honestly have never used FTF's attachment for pictures. I use Imageshack and host pics there then just copy & paste the link.

Pretty sure that deleting from a host site will leave a dead link here. I suppose in some cases that might not matter but in some cases the photos make the thread.

On other sites that i visit many very good tutorials were lost because of use of thrived party hosts. Direct upload to the site insures the pics stay with the thread. Archives were ruined when PB did the blackmail bit.

Why would you delete from the host site? I never do. $3.99 per month and you get unlimited uploads to host and never have to delete them. PB did that to free users to get them to pay lots of money for memberships. Imageshack is much better, very low cost and you don't ever have to worry about losing your stuff it's all there and all backed up.

yes

deleting a photo from your photobucket account will delete here in your forum post.

its no longer on the internet so there is no link back to your photo. it doesnt reside on the forums server

use imgur.com. totally free

Archives were ruined when PB did the blackmail bit.

you can still upload your photos to photobucket for free but its the third party hotlinking they want you to pay for

there is a work around for that strictly for viewing photos that now appear as the image below

if you appreciate all of the fine fly photos posted on this forum (and others) but you only get the following or something similar

fstoppers_photobucket_hosting_lead_0.jpg
add the following extensions/add-ons to your web browser
chrome
firefox
opera
now all of the great fly photos and tutorials are viewable as long as they still reside on the posters photobucket account

Test photo from my Android phone

sorry for blurry photo. phones are not good cameras

phone in vertical position

attachicon.gifIMG_20171216_155812~2.jpg

Phone in horizontal position

attachicon.gifIMG_20171216_155812~3.jpg

this photo down loaded to phone. taken with nikon camera

attachicon.gifIMG_20171216_075934_077.jpg

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=86492

Not sure what happened ^^^, but I see this quite a bit with the host sites. Moving the picture in the album or renaming or, or..

Seen it a few times on this forum recently and have wondered if there was a direct/inline upload to the forum? I don't have any pictures to play with at this time but in the past on forums with inline capability I found direct to post from the computer much easier than working through a host site.

I had never looked at the "Manage Attachment" page in my settings. I found 74 pages of images. Many were for items I was selling, and many had very few downloads. I deleted about 15 or 16 pages (16 attachments on each page,) I found it very interesting to see the download history on the images. I was pretty surprised to see that 210 people downloaded my image of my closed closet door. Most of these images were 5 to 10 years old.

If for some reason, any one runs into an old post without an image, just PM me, and I will repost, just that image. Don't think that will be a big problem for many.

I don't like hosting sites, they change things up and get rid of features I'm used to, then decide to charge too much to embed photos to a site like we are in. And finally in the case of Smugmug for instance, they lose that feature all together but keep the big monthly charge.. Great site for displaying albums though for wedding photography and such things, they optimized for screen viewing and teh photos look really nice pretty much automatically. But when they did away with the embed feature I had to dump them. So now I just don't post photos at all, it's not like my flies are anything special to begin with.

I had 150 pages. I've always used the "upload from computer" feature. What I still don't understand is that I had all those pages and images and when I started deleting them, I had to drop to less than 70 pages and lose more than 1000 pictures to get out of "the red".

Those images are gone. I went back and opened one of my posts that had pictures from the deleted files, and it's now blank.

I deleted everything prior to January of 2017 ... so, as Utyer said ... if you see a post of mine without a picture, now you know why.

That's why I like Imageshack Dave. It's dirt cheap, no limit to how many pictures you store, and to upload you just click upload and it's there to use when/where ever you want too. So there's no features to lose to start with. I'm never one to tell people to take out memberships to places but IMO $3.99 a month at Imageshack just is a no brainer. I've been using it for the past 2 years now and am very pleased with it. I've got 1000's of rod/fish/aquarium pics there because I know they back them up to a "cloud" so I don't ever have to worry about losing important pics.