Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bucks n beaks

Human Hair (children's) Patterns for Mementos for Grandparents

Hey guys. I'm looking for some suggestions on patterns to tie using my two youngest kids' hair as mementos for the grandparents. When my oldest daughter got her first haircut, I tied 3 Clouser minnows (1 for myself and both grandfathers). I also tied 2 Clousers from my nephew's hair for my brother and our dad. Now that I have two more kids (another girl and boy) I want to do some different patterns because I want to be able to tell them apart, since they all have the same hair color. Both the girl and boy have fairly straight hair with curly ringlets at the ends that the wife wants me to keep in the flies. She wants me to do a popper for one of them. Got the foam head poppers to do so. Was thinking colorful hackles for the tails along with some locks adding to the tail. And some flashy chenille adding to the body. But I'm stumped on a third pattern.

Have any of you guys done anything such as this as keepsakes? If so, would you be willing to post pics so I can get some ideas to choose from? Thanks in advance.

Kyle, Mississippi

My hair is a nice blue dun color but I don't produce enough to production tie very many clousers.

Certainly for the girl there may be a hair wing salmon fly named the same.

Or just tie a pretty hair wing streamer on a hat pin or similar.

That's an interesting idea. I don't have any grandkids but I do have a grand niece and nephew. My niece's husband is a fly fisher and so is his father. I'll have to ask both my niece and nephew if they think it would be a good idea. If I did one for each of the grandparents I'd have to tie 12 flies. Definitely something to think about. No idea about patterns, though.

Use as yarn to wrap a body, then use short cut pieces in a dubbing loop as hackle to make a spider. Use as topping on salmon fly. Hair is really to soft to do much with, that I can think of. Mix with flash in a Clouser. .

I would be tempted to braid it; make a tiny ponytail and use that, maybe as the body of an extended dry fly or nymph. Maybe even a fancy parachute wing post.

Thanks for the responses and suggestions guys. I didn't mean to post and disappear on ya. The braid sounds interesting and definitely doable. I'll revisit this and post pics of the final products once I get it done. Thanks again.