Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Letís talk decals

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:50 PM

Ready to deck out my truck with some decals. Mostly interested in fishing decals but hunting ones are on the agenda too. What artists in flyfishing/tying do yall like that makes decals? Links are appreciated.
<p>"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous"

Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"

Tenkara is only for little fish!                                                                     </p>

#2 tcruikshank

tcruikshank

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:01 PM

Here's a few I found on Ebay...

spg7c7.jpg

#3 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:42 PM

Feather craft has a cool decal
Attached File  IMG_20180722_211428700.jpg   117.32KB   1 downloads
cb27

#4 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:03 AM

There are some really nice decals out there. I won't apply them to my car or truck.

Reason being, I am parked along some back road advertising what may be in the vehicle. Now most know fly fishing gear can be worth a few bucks. Why advertise to a potential thief?

I have heard of guides leaving there vehicles unlocked. Thier gear may be gone but they still have their windows.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#5 fishinguy

fishinguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:41 AM

There are some really nice decals out there. I won't apply them to my car or truck.

Reason being, I am parked along some back road advertising what may be in the vehicle. Now most know fly fishing gear can be worth a few bucks. Why advertise to a potential thief?

I have heard of guides leaving there vehicles unlocked. Thier gear may be gone but they still have their windows.

this. Plus you're advertising your secret fishing spot at the same time.

#6 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,254 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:03 AM

yup, nothing says "please break into my vehicle and steal my expensive fly fishing gear" like adorning it as a rolling billboard with advertising

Fly tyers sure have a way at making things difficult

Why do you look at a persons profile after they make a post?

#7 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,159 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:22 AM

Unlike the paranoid masses above ... I don't think stickers on your truck are going to make it MORE attractive to thievery.  It's not like your stickers are throwing light into the sky ... directing thieves from the city to come out to where ever you happen to be parked.  

If they happen upon your vehicle ... they'll break in, regardless of the "sticker appeal" or lack thereof.

Simply put ... leave everything in plain sight, and don't have anything in there worth stealing.  If you don't need it for the trip you're on, don't put it in the vehicle to begin with.

That said, I don't advertise for anybody.  If I get a sticker with a reel or rod, I might stick it on something at home, but I'm not putting it on my vehicle.  They didn't pay me to advertise for them ... I'm not doing it.

I don't know where to get them, nor how much they go for.   But I've always been a fan of pictures of fish.  Nice, large, color pictures of fish.  If I find some, I'm putting them on my van.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#8 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:44 AM

DNR officers I our area have stated a large percentage of break ins along the rivers are the vehicles with fly fishing advertisement (stickers).

Whether they were fishing or not.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#9 Powershooter

Powershooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 10:50 AM

Tons on eBay , that's where I found the only one I have on my truck . It's only on there because I found it funny and only fly fishers would understand it .
Attached File  20180723_064617.jpg   88.4KB   9 downloads
Bo Hamby

#10 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,159 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 11:15 AM

DNR officers I our area have stated a large percentage of break ins along the rivers are the vehicles with fly fishing advertisement (stickers).

Whether they were fishing or not.

Are a large number of the vehicles parked there sporting the advertisements?  Kind of a bogus statistic if, say 90% of the vehicles have stickers and out of a dozen break ins, 7 of them had stickers.

I'm not doubting you, rstaight ... just that statistics can be "bent" any way you want.

Since the only vehicle I've had burglarized was a rental with NO identifying marks and all my own vehicles have fishing stickers on them (no adverts, but fishing related) ... well, you see my angle.

Barbed hooks rule!

#11 caloosa bug

caloosa bug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 02:02 PM

Tons on eBay , that's where I found the only one I have on my truck . It's only on there because I found it funny and only fly fishers would understand it .
attachicon.gif20180723_064617.jpg

Hahaha. I wouldn't have understood it a few years ago, before I joined this forum. That's pretty good.

#12 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:55 PM

Mike,

First I did not throw out a percentage. This is from the DNR officers saying a large number of people advertising what can possibly be in the vehicle.

#13 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:30 PM

Nympho
Nymphoh?
If you wanta sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy...RS
Due to severe budget cuts and economic down turn the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...

#14 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:26 PM

Decals are like tattoos to me, a little one in a not so prominent place is okay. Two is a crowd. I don't adorn my vehicles with stickers but maybe just a little silhouette of a fly in the corner would be sufficient. I'm with Mike, I don't advertise for others on my truck or clothing and I don't broadcast anything about me to those who don't know me so what do I know.

I do know a little about thieves. The fact that vehicles broken into while parked in fishing lots and pull offs may have fishing stickers on them is not indicative of thieves shopping for fishing gear. It simply means that a lot people parking in fishing lots and pull offs have fishing stickers on their vehicles. Regardless of how expensive fishing gear is it is Worth pennies on the dollar on the thief market. They are breaking into these cars because they are secluded and anglers like to leave their wallets, money, credit cards, cell phones and other valuables in the car when they fish. Much like people who leave their valuables in the car when they go to the gym for their workouts. With a fishing rod their is an added step needed before you can turn that rod into a bag of dope. A fishing rod would be nothing more then a consolation prize for most money grubbing thieves.

Somebody on this site was starting a start up decal business. Who the heck was that'd did they ever start?

#15 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,159 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:31 PM

Mike,

First I did not throw out a percentage. This is from the DNR officers saying a large number of people advertising what can possibly be in the vehicle.

Hence, this statement in my reply ...

"I'm not doubting you, rstaight ... just that statistics can be "bent" any way you want."  I guess I should have written "... DNR's statistics ...".

smile.png

Barbed hooks rule!