Fly Tying
tyler94

Stimulator Dubbing

I was just wondering what kind of dubbing you guys use for stimulators. One source I have telling me to use Superfine, and another source is telling me to use Hare-Tron. I'm sure I'm over thinking it but I just wanted to get some ideas. Thanks

I generally use Fly Rite. It's a poly dubbing, just like "superfine"...but larger in staple. Been around a long time, but not so many shops carry it. Nothing wrong with superfine, and you could certainly use natural dubbing. Just my preference.

Bugsy ,

Every bag of Fly-Rite I have says "Natural Dubbing 100% Natural Fibers" . It looks just like the professionally processed lambs wool I got from friends years ago when they got rid of all their sheep and lambs.DSCI0002_zps2ed337c1.jpg

The original Fly-Rite is labeled as "Extra Fine Poly". Fly-Rite Natural is a different product from the same maker.

As far as the stimulator goes, just about any dubbing will work. I've used all of the above plus a few others.

Bugsy ,

Every bag of Fly-Rite I have says "Natural Dubbing 100% Natural Fibers" . It looks just like the professionally processed lambs wool I got from friends years ago when they got rid of all their sheep and lambs.

Something told me I should have been more specific. As Jaydub stated, it's the original Fly Rite "extra fine poly." The Fly Rite natural dubbing is just as you said: A fine, natural fleece. I don't particularly care for tying with it, but I believe the dubbing that Rene Harrop markets is a fine (possibly finer) fleece.

it is a dry fly so you may want to use a dry fly dubbing but really, you can use whatever dubbing you have available

got foam? that works too!

Antron, and while I'm not sure what Kaufmann used originally, anything will work really. Between the wing and the hackle, you do not have to restrict yourself to dry fly dubbing. I prefer a much buggy looking fly, so a longer fiber synthetic works well. If you are looking for natural materials, Haretron, or Angora goat are popular.

Hi group,

Just about any brand of dubbing will work on Stimulators OR you can also use strands of yarn available in many stores. The 4-strand type seems to work best for us after separating the strands of course. We use Double Magic dubbing (based on the LaFontaine Quick Fingers Dubbing) on our LaFontaine style Double Wing flies so we naturally also use it on our Stimulators because we have a good inventory of the product available. The two patterns are similar in design but we seem to have better luck fishing the Double Wings. Take care & ...

I agree with the "any dubbing will work" concept, so much so that I often use floss for my underbody on stimulators. The hair and hackle will float them thru almost any water conditions with a beadhead hanging below so I like the gloss of floss under that hackle.

I like waspi superfine on mine but like others have said just about any dubbing or yarn will work. Try to stick with non-absorbant buoyant materials so the Fly will float well.

post-52247-0-05542900-1407875805_thumb.jpg

Some dubbing, like Superfine, is treated with floatant. If I know in advance what I'm going to use I will sometimes treat material with a liquid floatant (yellow label on plastic bottle) and let it dry until the next day. My recall abilities have suffered with age. It even works on feathers, hair, and winging material.