Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SilverCreek

Abel fly tying vise

Anyone remember the Abel Fly tying vise.

abel1.gif

C6F6D4F5-3FFF-A1E6-85DE45BBF5E2BBEB.jpg

In the Abel tradition, Here's a blinged up version.

abel-vise-aluminum.jpg

Don't they remind you of another vise? The Abel is off the market because it is a copy of the Renzetti Master which is patented, specifically the adjustable angle on the arm that ensure the hook is centered for rotational tying.

rz-acc-m6004.jpg

Yes I recall that, also that it had an appropriately Abel price tag. I recall thinking at the time I first saw it, "Why would anyone pay more for a vice that offers less than the Renzetti Master?"

Cheers,

C.

I liked it so much, I made one. Changed the jaws to a cam though. I've made other vises, but this is my favorite to tie on. I fell in love with the Abel, first time I saw one. My favorite was an Abel that was anodized with the Roosterfish pattern on the base. Was killer looking. The black one is cool too.

post-19822-0-74790000-1407767223_thumb.jpg

post-19822-0-69450000-1407767237_thumb.jpg

Abel did not copy the Renzetti.

Steve called Andy Renzetti and requested permission, for a fee, to use the design.

When that did not work out, he made the jaws slide up and down to adjust center line rotation of the hook shank,,,, Abel is not a copy of the adjustable arm pivot that is the Renzetti proprietary design.

Abel was in the business of making fly reels,,, not fly tying vices,,, that is the reason the product is not longer manuf.

The fancy anodized colored vice version was all aluminum, the stainless/brass is more desirable, IMHO.

Very rugged well designed fly tying vice. Sometimes regret not purchasing one when they were commercially available.

Regards,

FK

^^^ Yep. The rotational shaft of the Abel is not hinged Other vises use a hinged arm, though: Dingo, Petitjean, C&F, Tiemco, Snowbee-Waldron, Terra. Granted, none mentioned are US.

There is a slight visual similarity between the Supreme and the Master...at a distance. But that doesn't constitute patent infringement.

Abel made the vises for something like ten years. I think Andy would have enforced his patent immediately.

Change happened during those years. Steve was ill, the company sold, and the economy took a dump. $800/$550 for the standard Abel offerings in 2007 was a lot of money.

I could see where the Abel had appeal, but the Renzetti's features (for less $) and the company's long history of producing high quality vises would seem to be stronger selling points.

I liked it so much, I made one. Changed the jaws to a cam though. I've made other vises, but this is my favorite to tie on. I fell in love with the Abel, first time I saw one. My favorite was an Abel that was anodized with the Roosterfish pattern on the base. Was killer looking. The black one is cool too.

Love the vises.... do you make them for sale?