Fly Tying
texag17

Anyone fly fish the Caribbean?

At the end of May, I am heading on a cruise that leaves from Puerto Rico and goes to Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Marteen, and St. Thomas. I have only found a small bit of resources on fly fishing these areas. I would love to be able to go somewhere on a couple of these islands to catch bonefish or something like that. I have no experience fishing these areas so I don't really know what to look for. Any help y'all can give me is much appreciated.

I haven't fished there, but I imagine that bonefish are bonefish and you should be able to find lots of information fishing the flats in the Florida Keys and other destinations. Have lots of crab and shrimp imitations and you can't go wrong.

I did a cruise similar to that a few years back. Pretty decent but the thing I soon realized was that our boat or iteninary didn't stop for very long in each port. Some snorkelling and shopping was about all I could get in.

Of the Islands mentioned, I've only been to Barbados. If I remember correctly, there were no flats around that Island. I also found that situation on Trinidad/Tobago. There are swim beaches, but they drop off quickly.

That's not saying there's no fishing out there. Might not be Bonefish you're chasing, though.

Good luck !!!

I dont' think there are a lot of flats in any of those islands to hold a lot of Bonefish. You might find some, but most of the fishing in those areas is offshore fishing.

There’s some Bonefish in Simpson Bay lagoon on St Marteen.

There’s also a lagoon on the outskirts of Philipsburg, which is where I guess you’ll dock, that has plenty of tarpon in it.

You can also find snook off the the beaches of St Marteen.

Puerto Rico has some good fly fishing. Do a google search on guides that do tarpon and such. I fished a little island off the coast of P.R, called Vieques where I picked up my first bonefish on a DIY trip. Second trip to Vieques, I took a guide out. There is info., on it on the web.