Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

What do you do at your day job?

We've got lots of interesting people here. I'm curious to know what you do at your day job. If you're retired ( you cranky old such an suches) what did you do?

Here's what I do when I'm not tying flies or fishing.

I just finished these and sent them to their owners.

Knapp_190430-wweb-XL.jpg

A big game skinner

DSCF3922-XL.jpg

And an ulu.

Tell us or show us what you do, or used to do.

Right now I try to be a pain in the butt. Prior to that I designed computer systems for business solutions or managed a team of analyst and programmers. Spent 40 yrs doing it so have seen great strides in computer development, all the way from punch cards with no hard drives up through the personal PCs. At one time knew several computer languages but struggle with English now. First four yrs of earning a living was teaching high school geometry, algebra and trig. Found out that wasn't my cup of tea so have great respect for teachers who can handle it. Didn't respond to a previous thread about best pupil, but my best student was a vey smart kid but could not read. Could work any problem that I read to him, but he couldn't do it on his own. Real shame.

Mark, how much do you "make"? I know your a bladesmith, but do you make the scales and sheath? It's all fantastic work.

I am an instructor, factory level motorcycle and outboard technology.

Business manager at the largest wastewater treatment plant on the Susquehanna River in New York State.

Keeping the water clean and the public healthy. ;-)

Prior to that comptroller of the City of Binghamton.

And even prior I was in the private sector as a cost accountant and then controller for manufacturers of various things - photographic film & paper and then a sheet metal fabricator.

Taught economics and accounting at a local business school as an adjunct for a couple years. THAT was an interesting job. I have great respect for teachers after that.

I am one of the cranky old retired guys since 2011. Before that I was a teacher and wrestling coach in the Florida school system. I taught high school English and special education (elementary and high school) for many years. So, currently no day job and I don't want one. Now everyday is like a Saturday.

Joe

Retired these last two years. Do various things to keep active. Waiting for the 4th member of my group of group of fishing friends to retire at the end of May and plan to do a lot more fishing once that happens. Prior to that I worked for 37 years with the Defense Logistics Agency the first 17 years as an inventory manager for various semi-perishable and perishable foods for the military world wide. The last 20 years as an account manager for food contracts that supported the military, schools, hospitals and MWR's in WESTPAC First three years I managed the Guam contract. I maybe the only person on the board that's ever fly fished Guam. The last 17 years I managed the food contract for Japan, Singapore, Diego Garcia and the Philippines. I never did get to DGAR which probably had the best fishing of all the locations. I don't miss the long flights to get to those places.

I do a lot of different things construction, landscape cleanup, window cleaning, tree work (I climb), anything of that type. I make knives as well kind of my hobby job I'm not nearly too Mark's level.

Mark I think musk ox horn may very well be my favorite material I see you use, I don't see it often even from other high end makers.

post-58401-0-17412700-1556771530_thumb.jpg

post-58401-0-02448600-1556771582_thumb.jpg

Thanks dadofmolly and vicente.

Mike, I make everything, I make my own damascus, do the engraving, cut the handle material from raw stock and make my own sheaths. I have also made my own steal from raw iron ore. Although these knives were not made from that steel I do have knives that were made totaly in Alaska from Alaskan materials.

Thank you everybody for participating, lets here more. Thank you everybody for your valuable contributions to our society.

Over the years I've done whatever I could to get by. That included building trucks for IH, serving in the RAF, railway signalman and mercenary (not joking).

Now unable to work by reason of both conditions, and injuries suffered at various times. This year I have discovered the full extent of my health problems. Ankylosing spondylitus has left me with all twelve of my thoracic vertebrae fused into two lumps. Also my spine has been broken, twice. There are further complications to AS which I'm enjoying in all their fullness.

Anyway, to work I would need adaptions beyond what is considered reasonable for an employer to make.

That doesn't mean I do nothing now. I'm a director of a charity that provides group advocacy for mental health service users. The "charitable company", Spirit Advocacy, has 3 distinct organisations under it. Speak - for young people (up to 24 years old) HUG (Highland User Group) - action for mental health, and People First Highland, for learning disabilities.

Also I have helped out with individual advocacy on an ad hoc basis. Mostly this means pointing people at the right services for their problem. I've been somewhat more involved in a couple of significant cases.

Cheers,

C.

Happily retired now but I designed parts for the Trident, Seawolf, Virginia and Columbia Class Submarines for the US Navy

enhanced-30354-1422562418-19.jpg

bae-systems-to-deliver-payload-tubes-for

For the past 38 years Ive been in the telecommunications field.

Been Chief Tech and a Technical Operations Manager in the past.

Now Im just a Contractor that splices coax, fiber and I do some field engineering.

Before retiring in 2017, I spent 31 years developing AI and GIS systems for the Department of Defense. Prior to that I was a lab tech in a wastewater treatment plant for the better part of a decade.

Fully retired now. 30+ years as a CIA analyst/contractor behind me. (Only one job interview!)

Now I do whatever my wife 'suggests', gather with cronies to cuss the guvmint and the times, and fly tie and fish when I can.

Rocco