Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
xvigauge

Squirmi Worms

Has anyone used squirmi worms for stocked trout? I talked to some guys at the local fly shop and they said that they worked well on the stocked trout in the Little River in Townsend. I guess i will have to tie some up and try them.

Joe

I've wondered if squirmies were legal in fly only waters, they very much imitate soft plastic baits. I'll ask the next time I see a warden, if I don't forget.

I have not tried them but have no doubt that they will catch any trout any where, if the other conditions are favorable. Trout bite sticks and rocks, that's how they get things like snails and cased caddis, isn't it?

Orange is a good color- I have cut open a few trout that were full of orange colored cedar needles from a dead cedar upstream. When we were kids we caught Idaho trout on slivers cut from Dad's Prince Albert tins and folded around the hook. The Squirmy is at least soft and malleable in the fish's mouth giving the impression of food.

I've wondered if squirmies were legal in fly only waters, they very much imitate soft plastic baits. I'll ask the next time I see a warden, if I don't forget.

Molded plastics are considered bait here in Oregon, so they're not legal in artificials only or fly only waters here. Check your regs, it could be in an obscure place. It's listed under the definition of bait in our regs, not a place you'd normally look if you're a fly fisherman.

Here in NC, the rule is "single hook artificial lure." As long as you don't add scent, a.la. powerbait, plastics are legal.

Yes, squirmys work for trout. Stocked trout are particularly susceptible, but wild trout will also take them. There are always a number of aquatic worms in the water, so the shape and movement are a natural trigger. Also, the soft "chew" of the squirmy makes the fish hold onto the fly a bit longer, making it a good choice for inexperienced anglers who might be a bit slow to set the hook.

ps: I was in Townsend myself, last weekend. I hope you found time to come out back and check out the Tyer's Tent. Most of the best tyers in the southeast were there, demonstrating their craft.

I know what the regs say and by strict interpretation the fact that it is tied to the hook might qualify it as a fly, but, there are prohibitions specifically of "soft plastics",

If a squirmy is an "synthetic worm" it's being tied to a hook does not make it a fly, but if it is part of a toy...? And the fact that it is allowed in international contests makes it more interesting.

C- Soft plastic bait (unscented)—Synthetic eggs, synthetic worms, synthetic grubs, and soft plastic lures.

D- Fly—An artificial lure constructed on a single-point hook, using any material except soft plastic bait and natural and scented bait as defined above, that is tied, glued, or otherwise permanently attached.

(A- defines baits and B- defines artificial lures.)

I've caught more pan fish on them in a private stocked section of a creek I fish. I don't think I've ever caught a trout on one. It doesn't matter on the private stretch I fish. I'll have to check the PA regs for fly fishing only stretches. Since I'm lazy I just thread them on the hook, as if it was a red wiggler, using a small bit of super glue at the insertion points to hold them in place. They really do look like live bait that way. On second thought I don't think I'd try them in a fly fishing only stretch. I was always puzzled by all the small sticks, pine needles etc. I found in trout stomachs when I was using night crawlers to catch them and keeping them before I took up fly fishing. As I started tying, I realized I was looking at the remains of case caddis, though it still doesn't explain cigarette butts I occasionally found in the stomachs.

... doesn't explain cigarette butts I occasionally found in the stomachs.

Once they get addicted to that nicotine ... it's hard to break the habit !!!

Here in NC, the rule is "single hook artificial lure." As long as you don't add scent, a.la. powerbait, plastics are legal.

Yes, squirmys work for trout. Stocked trout are particularly susceptible, but wild trout will also take them. There are always a number of aquatic worms in the water, so the shape and movement are a natural trigger. Also, the soft "chew" of the squirmy makes the fish hold onto the fly a bit longer, making it a good choice for inexperienced anglers who might be a bit slow to set the hook.

ps: I was in Townsend myself, last weekend. I hope you found time to come out back and check out the Tyer's Tent. Most of the best tyers in the southeast were there, demonstrating their craft.

Hey phg, I was there! I never miss the Fly Tyers Weekend. Always seem to learn something new. Not sure when it is going to start, but during the winter, Little River Outfitter's will feature a different tier every Saturday for several Saturdays. Sometimes there will be one tier and other times there will be two or three. Each one will be sitting in a specific area of the shop and people are encouraged to sit and observe, ask questions, etc. Hope you can make it to some of those.

Joe