Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

FlyJigs?

Kinda big....3/8-1/2oz for SeaTrout.

ED2-EBFA9-8478-4-CD6-9-CBA-AD719-C7-E8-C

DA2-C9-A4-F-36-E9-4-D81-B8-E2-34047-F94-

Another disgusting pic of dead fish. 50...La. 2 man limit. Man dem things taste good!!! Ayeee!

C32-FA91-B-B97-C-423-B-86-BD-496-A0334-E

7481-F6-FF-23-B6-4-EB5-9-D40-6-BA2-D5236

Managed a few with my fiber schwimp fly tied behind a jig. Just hung up too often kept breaking them off...catching the specks around bridge piling 8-12 deep out flowing tide.

2-ABD0-DA3-636-F-4-F95-85-B5-544-AE702-B

Some 50 years ago I started out my "professional" fly tying career tying bucktail jigs fpr a penny a jig. Didn't have to buy any supplies as they were provided. Would tie about a hundred a month on top of being an honors student and playing just about every sport I could. Except hockey - and still can't skate. Gave up my "professional" fly tying career shortly there after when I saw MY TIES for sale for 50 cents each. Child labour I thought.

Anyway I now have about 20 or so DO-IT jig molds, never ending supply of lead and jig hooks. Just finished painting some panfish jig heads and will tie them up soon.

Weather they are considered a fly or a lure, They work.

Doug

I've been looking at this thread ... and I believe there's a whole industry of hand-tied jigs. Doesn't make them "flyjigs", unless you're using a fly rod to cast those bullets?

Well done ties but, they're hand-tied jigs.

Just found this thread and it really struck a chord since I've been tying jigs as well as flies for a lot of years... I've stood down as a commercial fly tyer but I'm still doing a ton of bucktails - for all comers... . These days most of my fly tying is to have what's needed for my fly anglers.

Here's a pic or two...

46Kydlb.jpg

This the LBJ (little brown jig) a real staple in the backcountry of the 'glades in winter

MgqAJMr.jpg

two colors of my backcountry bucktails - they're done in 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2oz sizes - all powder coated, then baked before being tied up. The thread on each bucktail is super glued so that a fish might chew the tail off - but otherwise it's there for the life of the jig... the flash on all of these is holographic silver on one side - gold on the other (from Wapsi). They're all done to order - the customer chooses the head color, the tail style and color, etc. All of the hooks are extra strength super sharp black nickel - and each hook is the correct size for the size of the lead head.... One of the reasons i got started doing my own bucktails and leadheads was the much of what's in shops for sale simply never has decent hooks... or other problems that make them less than perfect to my eye.

What I don't have any pics of is something of a secret weapon for small tarpon. I've managed to tie up a tarpon fly (all feather Keys-style pattern) on a 1/8oz jighead. I'll do a few up and post the pics in a day or two... We're not tossing them with a fly rod - instead a medium light spinning rod - but they look and pretty much behave just like a tarpon fly where it counts...

My pards are all about filling coolers so not getting much flycasting at the sea trout. (Hour and half drive) Kinda a famous place fishing around the TressleBridge on LakePonchatrain in La. theres a company called DockSide in EdenIsle that started making MatrixShad plastic swimmer tails and jigs. The business has taken off and the bread and butter bait for the locals. Not sure if will go nationwide.

https://matrixshad.com/

https://matrixshad.com/dockside-tv/

Well Im always experimenting trying to incorporate my flies into the game. So i tied these jigs just like the flies. Another common method in marsh fishing for specks is with clicker/popping cork with live shrimp or couple of shrimp plastics 3-4 underneath. To their surprise I caught them with 2 of my fiber shrimp under a cork. Also I got the idea of the clicker popper from this technique. ( http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=87709&page=1 Already have luck with a dropper under a popper especially for reds.

Thanks for your reply I certainly listen to your experience and long to get back to SouthFla. for the exotics and tarpon challenge.

Post from the Misipi site. The specks are way up our tidal rivers now that its winter.

http://forums.bullnettlenews.com/90-mississippi-fly-fishing/234601-flyjigs.html#post1953055283

Not a thing wrong with tying jigs, even for someone who enjoys fly fishing more than with other tackle or not at all with other tackle! wink.png

I tie more jigs now too than I do flies. Several of my customers are tournament anglers, walleye & bass, and they don't use fly gear, so I provide what they want. It's a bit funny to me, I like tying hair jigs for bass, and bucktail jigs for Stripers, but some of those guys just want big marabou jigs. Nothing fancy, just big & with a "better" quality hook. Most off the shelf marabou jigs are small & cheap. These guys believe they have an edge over their competition. I mold all the jigs that I use, various styles. Each has it's uses.

Denduke, I really like what you're doing! They all look great! wub.png Some of those trout would end up on my dinner plate too! It's been a long time since I've caught any of them however. sad.png

Capt Mike, you've posted some of your jigs before, and I've always liked seeing them! I've copied them somewhat & some of your flies a few times, when I wanted to tie & fish something different than what I usually tied! Gotta go with what works! I'm real fond of that Sparkie style head too for inshore fishing. smile.png

Mike Chell, yep, I agree with you! Even if cast with fly gear, they're still jigs. Although, I've tied "flies" on small jig heads, they were of a size that was easily cast with even 4 or 6 wt fly gear. No heavier than some tied with beads. Start getting up to & over 1/8 oz, and not something I would even want to use with my fly gear, even the 10 wt. That's why they make sinking lines, so no need to have the fly weighted that much or use a jig head. That's why they make other tackle too! They both, flies & jigs, catch plenty of fish when used in the right time & place that's for sure!

Back to some easy shrimp. Gray dubbing and root beer Estaz for bodies.

976-D3-AC5-8-DB5-43-F1-A722-F7-D3-E8-E08

Lil eyes painted from wedding stuff HobbyLobby

F0210-A4-A-1-ABA-4-DD6-AFBD-91-C891-AEF9

BTW got a great UV lite from Lowes today for $10. Guy on the MicroSkiff site turned us on to it! He says it cures Sorarez to no tacky. HotDamn!!!!

007-ADA34-1-D28-4665-B837-7354-FE578-BD5

OK sportsfans. Brainstorming again. Had a problem with fly trailering the jig hanging up too much. So tied some with the styrofoam balls to create neutral or slightly buoyant ones that when trailing the jigs will hopefully ride up some and maybe help the bite.

Tied some to look like the shrimp(critterfly to me) and some to complement the HolyJolly or MidnightMullet, etc. Matrix shad plastic tails. cant wait to try em out....

513-CD0-F1-B68-C-4177-BA01-BF1-BD7-FB388

E565-EF7-D-A665-4-A78-A326-46-D60-B63-A0

8-E289742-5-EDF-4649-AD64-CDC255-A9671-B