Fly Tying
dryfly purist

the flyfishermaaaaan........

That sort of picture would be great on that fishermans wall. You'll have to a run of 'insert your own portrait here' scenes

THAT is a beautiful picture. The serenity of the trees and water contrasted buy the tension in the line and the fisherman's pose. He's aiming for a rise ... it's right there in his stance.

awesome pic! If that were me casting, the fly would be hung up in the trees behind me.

I've googled fishing images many times (looking for computer wallpaper) and this is absolutely the finest I have ever seen! I defy anyone to find a better.

Terje... is that you? If so is this a selfie?

Thanks a lot for your kind comments, guys. I really appreciate it :-) :-)

FlaFly:

It´s not me but a friend of mine, so no selfie this time :-) :-)

I need your advice, guys.

I´m gonna use one of these photos in a photo contest and i would very much like to hear from you which one i should go for, so please give me your advice and tell me why you would choose the one over the other.

15858782955_23861a3e94_h.jpg

15856766301_4b6d02c580_h.jpg

Terje

To start with those are both brilliant photos. I would happily stick either on my wall.

Now you ask us to choose between them for a contest. (Please tell me which contest so I can avoid it - I couldn't compete).

Putting on my photographic head there is a primary and secondary subject in each. The fisherman and the dead tree in that order. They are the first two things that my eye was drawn to. The fisherman is perfectly positioned. The tree being on the far right is, I feel better balanced by the back cast. In the second there is nothing to draw your eye to the left of the image, that makes it feel unbalanced. Everything seems to push my eye right.

I also think the exposure is kinder to the top one. It is slightly more mysterious.

Having looked at them for a while there is something that is grabbing my eye. Now some people will disagree with doing this, but I would suggest that you copy the file and try this on the copy to see if it does help. There are six very light leaves that show up as white patches above the sand in the foliage. I would either touch these out or darken them a little. The same for the three light stones in the sandy area, and the two flecks of foam in the reflection of the dead tree. I'm not saying do it, but consider it.

Very very good photos Terje.

Cheers,

C.

I like the posture of the fisherman better in the top picture. I also like the lighting in the top picture. However, I like the way the line pays out in the bottom picture. It is more visible and parallels the mud bank at the waterline, thereby accentuating both. But, maybe the posture of the fisherman in the bottom picture depicts concentration, making it the better picture, overall.

I know, not much help.

steve

I agree with the posture in the top photo. Also I like the visual balance of the photo... he is in the center, his fly line draws the viewer to the left, but the subject is looking right. I still think the top one is just that: the TOP one. Best photo of a fisherman I've ever seen. It's my new wallpaper. Hope you don't mind.

P.S. I don't agree with messing with the three light leaves on the right. If you look closely, there is a light object (reed?) on the bank on the left side. Balance again.

In both pictures, what draws my eye first, is the fly line.

In the top picture (And your original post ... so you liked it better, too, me thinks) the line leads you to the angler ... and your eye follows his line of sight to that "rise" you just KNOW he's casting to. Your eyes naturally move across the photo. If you did catch on the "Fall color" tree on the right, running your eyes across the photo to the angler, and following up the line is just as natural a movement.

In the bottom picture ... the line cuts the picture into pieces. My eyes kept catching on it as I looked over the picture. It dominates the picture and turns it into an excellent technical picture of a great forward cast ... but all else is lost to that dominance.

The top picture is aesthetically beautiful and easy to look at.

The bottom picture is a great picture for a book on fly casting and technical expertise.

So, depending on the contest you're entering, either would work.

First off all, thanks for your comments. I really appreciate that you have argued with pros and cons.

I have been looking at them for quite a few times to put it mildly, and i find as most of you guys do that the first one is the one i most likely are going to use :-)

Your arguments for choosing the first one is absolutely within what think too, so again i thank you all for all the great support and views on the issue :-)

THANKS A MILLION, guys :-) :-)

FlaFly:

Happy to say OF COURSE YOU CAN regarding you using the picture as a wallpaper :-) :-) :-)

Terje

I have been looking at them for quite a few times to put it mildly, and i find as most of you guys do that the first one is the one i most likely are going to use :-)

Your arguments for choosing the first one is absolutely within what think too, so again i thank you all for all the great support and views on the issue :-)

Terje

I agree. It was my first choice. Then I started thinking, which seldom leads to good results.

steve