Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Submarine

Anyone try Togen or Saber Hooks

I've seen negative feedback on the Togen hooks (too thick), the Saber hooks generally have gotten good reviews - except for the local fly shop which says they suck. However, the sample base is small - found only 4 or 5 comment about them on the web.

Have any of you tied with them? How do the compare to Mustad chemically sharpened hooks?

At 7 bucks a hundred, I'm sorely tempted.

I picked up some this week, they are visually quite nice. I just started tieing on them yesterday so I can't give feedback yet on how they perform fishing. The wire looks appropriate and points are quite sharp, I am very pleased with what I've seen so far.

This post had some small feedback from a fellow, it was positive.

These may simply be cosmetic "seconds" from a major manufacturer - I saw a couple so far that had a few rough spots (where two may have stuck together), but that's true of the fancy hooks as well.

Been using them for over a year with no problems and have bought about 10 bags of hooks in various sizes from 22 to 8 nymph. I am told by Big meadows fly shop that they are made in Korea. Good hooks, as good as the more expensive brands. No affilation with Big Meadows!

Look up Royd Lures on ebay because they have seriously cheap hooks eg. salmon hooks from 5 cent(euro) a hook and trout hooks from 1.5 cent a hook. I have used them now for a year and have had no problems with them. They are excess stock you see so they sell them on ebay for nothing.

I have enclosed a link,

Jason.

Royd Hooks

I have both Togen and Saber hooks. They are both very good. The only difference is that Saber hooks are out of New York and takes less time then Togen. They are out of Canada and take a lot longer to ship.

I tie all my R&D patterns on them. When I get em right I go back to TMC or Daiichi. :yahoo:

tie all my R&D patterns on them. When I get em right I go back to TMC or Daiichi.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm curious. The Sabers and Togens must lack something, if you just use them for R&D. What does TMC or Daiichi offer that Saber doesn't.

If it helps, I tie for throw, not show. If the name brands fish better than Saber, then I'd spend the dough.

Just started using Saber hooks this season to ty nymphs and wets, no complaints at all

I have Togens and there just fine!! I have no problem with them. If I can get the old Mustads I'll take em never had any problems with them. Didn't like when they went to the Signature Series they were more money for less hooks. I'm not a show tyer I just tie to fish em.