Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Here we go again! more upgrades to the office

Well I'm at it again, summer is gone so time for another tank project in the office/shop. Everyone knows the view of my office facing this direction...

SonQuY.jpg

But standing in the same spot and looking 180 degrees the other way is this view....A nice view but something is missing, a tank!

jQYGaP.jpg

Originally I was going to move one of my 29g tanks over and build it into the wall with maybe a pair of rams or something. But I have decided to go with something that will complete my "wants" in fish keeping. When I got back into the hobby 4 yrs ago with a mixed African tank I had a few things I really wanted to keep, one was Frontosa which I now have a front tank, another was some sort of large "wet pet" which I now have with my Jaguar, and the last thing was I wanted to keep a tank of Tropheus.

So I've decided to build a Tropheus tank into the wall between my office and shop area. It will be a 4ft 55g for the time being but I will be upgrading it probably in the spring to a 75-90g once the trophs get a bit larger. Going to be rasing the stand to a height of 42" so that the tank will sit right above the back of the chair in the picture and tank will have a 3D background in it for a nice finished in wall look.

This is the backside of the wall, well WAS the backside of the wall at 1pm yesterday.
jIioLA.jpg

And this is the backside as of now. Already got both sheets of drywall down and most of the studs removed (this is a non load bearing, I actually put it up myself just 5 years ago as a divider for the rooms).
vM5wfb.jpg

Hopefully will have it all done and trophs swimming in the wall inside of a week to 10 days max 8)

BTLrBH.jpg
Spent the evening carving away like crazy on some foam yet again. I've done so much background work over the past two 2 weeks my fingers are getting blisters from using the foam shaver. All carved out now and just finished putting the drylok on it so will be doing color on it tomorrow now.

He'd just tryin' paint the back of the tank blue!

You say that like it's a bad thing. I'd go with blue gravel, too!!!

I just can't beleive that is the same space you started showing about 5-6 years ago. WOW, is about all i have to say...

Moving right along now. 3D background is done except for sealing it. The rocks were all white but I took some time to scrub them and paint them in the same colors at the background so it all color matches to give it that live painting look on the wall. Just have to seal it all, add sand (white) paint the tank sides black, finish framing it with some matching wood then, re arrange the pictures and such around it on the wall and then finish up the back side of the wall. Should have trophs in it by early next week most likely.

J09V4R.jpg

QWu8Zp.jpg

Hurry up February !!!

But I am a little saddened ... sad.png ... there's NO blue in the tank.

I mean, I understand that you don't want the whole back painted blue (which I don't understand).

I even kind of understand that you don't want blue gravel or sand in the bottom (which I don't understand, even a little).

But NO blue, on any surface !?!?!? I don't understand that, at all (Well, I kind of do, but I have an image to uphold!)

8edA49.jpg

Ckl3Jy.jpg

AA9m2K.jpg

MRXUmQ.jpg

I told myself I was NOT going to work on this today because I have a rod order to fill, but I couldn't resist getting some work in on it this morning/afternoon. All the front side is done now, got a side wall built to hide the side of the tank, and back is done except for a 6" facade to cover the bottom of the stand. Should have fish in it sometime next week for sure :)

You do realize ... I'll be spending about 4 hours in that office/work shop basement of yours. You won't be able to talk to me, as I'll be engrossed with just looking at stuff and everything else will be zoned out.

Sorry, but that's just a prediction of how I see part of the visit happening.