Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Mullet and Pinfish

Here's a few of my latest saltwater creations.

Seems the guides for Florida's inshore fishing rely on mostly 3 types of bait. Shrimp, mullet and pinfish. Shrimp are relatively easy to duplicate using clouser type ties, but finding a tying method that duplicates full-bodied baitfish was something I found very frustrating.

I've used yak hair and synthetic wool for shad type imitations, but found the hair is really too soft and tangles frequently along with loosing its shape. While leafing through some baitfish patterns in a few catalogs I found that Enrico's patterns fit that bill. I ordered a bunch of the 3D fibers from Stockard, which come in a variety of blended colors. Those along with Blueman's Peanut Bunker article (December 06) made the learning curve quite short.

Adding silicone to the head allows them to keep thier shape and it adds just enough weight for them to break the surface and still stay out of the grass. The sinkrate was a major issue with some of the clousers, especially while fishing the denser grass for reds and trout.

IPB Image

Thanks Jerry

Your article was instrumental! :headbang: After a couple of those pins I started blending the colors with good results.

You might want to try some Amazing GOOP Plumbing contact adhesive & sealant to attach the eyes as it lets the fibers flow in the water & you get a larger hook gap instead of the silicone hardhead the fish have to bite thru ! B)

I really like the pinfish...I've been lookinf for a good represntation of a pinfish and this fits the bill. Nice job!!

Mark Delaney

Nice ties shoe!!! now you need a few "salors chioce" and the shook near Canveral do not stand a chance. Next time you head down let me know and Ill get a redfish report for you!!

You might want to try some Amazing GOOP Plumbing contact adhesive & sealant to attach the eyes as it lets the fibers flow in the water & you get a larger hook gap instead of the silicone hardhead the fish have to bite thru ! B)

You only cover the eyes and head, so there is still enough flexible material near the hook point. Plus, the silicon doesn't harden like epoxy. It's flexible enough that it doesn't hurt the hook set.

Nice ties shoe!!! now you need a few "salors chioce" and the shook near Canveral do not stand a chance. Next time you head down let me know and Ill get a redfish report for you!!

How does the song go? "I'll be there for Christmas"... :lol:

Actually, there's only a slim chance of fishing around Titusville. More than likely I'll hit the discharge at Crystal River for a day or 2 and then it's off to Islamorada for 4 (with boat in tow ;)). My wife and I are on a research mission for a 3 week stay in the Keys this upcoming summer. It will probably be too hot for my tastes, but it can't be much worse than our trips to Arkansas, not to mention we like to party and the Keys are a hoot!!!

Those reds and gator trout better look out though. I have at least 3 long weekends planned between January and March. I talked my dad (actually my mom) into buying a boat. I was able to spend a couple of days on it over the Thanksgiving holiday. It fits the bill :headbang:

Most of my winter tying will be geared toward the salt.

BTW, what's a sailors choice? :dunno:

You only cover the eyes and head, so there is still enough flexible material near the hook point. Plus, the silicon doesn't harden like epoxy. It's flexible enough that it doesn't hurt the hook set.

That's exactly what happens with Softex & have a bunch of flies tied that way. Just graduated to Goop-ing the eyes on, don't have to use the fly drying motor & the fly looks more natural as bait ( at least to the tarpon ). The Softex or silicone will create enough of a head to push more water if you want a fly to do that. B)