Fly Tying
atxdiscgolfer

Orvis Thread

Does anyone else have issues tying with their thread, the spool diameter is smaller than UNI, UTC or Danville and it seems like i always lose tension making it a pain using it.

I used to use it many moons ago.Truth be told-i can't stand orvis fly materials.They seem poorly made and the price is just too damn much.

Don't really understand the problem, but two things come mind; I often pass the thread around a leg of the bobbin to increase winding tension and I have had a bobbin that I bent the legs more to make it hold small spools better. Finger pressure on the bobbin/spool as I wind allows me to pull harder on the thread sometimes too.

i dont think the "spool diameter" would have any effect on tension

rebending the bobbin holder arms will add more tension as well as palming the spool while wrapping

So basically you are saying the thread itself is fine but your bobbin arm tension is too light for their spools.. For me through all my tying life spool tension is/has been an on going battle and has needed adjusting of the bobbin arms periodically. I tend to find it too light and then tighten too much, getting it just right for UTC doesn't mean it's just right for Danville etc. I find Danville tan to need an exceptionally light tension or it frays on me, etc etc.

I may be doing it wrong, but I've always held the bobbin holder in my hand so that I am controlling the tension with my grip. It's become, somewhat, instinctive.

I may be doing it wrong, but I've always held the bobbin holder in my hand so that I am controlling the tension with my grip. It's become, somewhat, instinctive.

^^^ What he said.

Here's another tip. If the tension is too light, you can add tension by wrapping the thread around one of the bobbing arms before threading it through the bobbin tube. The more wraps, the greater the friction. The greater the friction, the greater the tension. ohmy.png

Dr.-Slick-Bobbin-and-Thread.jpg

Good picture of what I meant with thread around a leg, SilverCreek. Much easier than modifying the bend for every spool.

That works too, I do that on loose arms till I reset the tension. And I always do that with tying in bucktail or especially spinning deer hair. In fact on deer hair I tend to palm the spool between a finger and palm pulling straight down on the thread to snug it up tight. This becomes habit .

My question is: who makes the thread sold as Orvis?

Really doesn't matter, if you make a product to sell with your name and your specs and you also make a similar product with my specs for me to sell with my name, the products will not be the same even though you made both.

And next quarter or at the same time I could be having one or more other manufacturers making the product to my specs for me to sell with my name.

Many manufacturers never use their own name on any product, some make the same product for different Names. .