Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytyerinpa

Finding Material

I'm hoping somebody can help me locate a material either spun fur or wool the color is Buff , one guy said they quit making it, I'm thinking some where some body has it have it .

The color that you want is beige or tan. That should be a little bit easier to find wink.png

Regards,

Mark

If by "spun fur or wool" you mean something like Sculpin Wool, sounds like misinformation because tan Sculpin Wool seems readily available from multiple sources, and is "Ram's Wool" which can be used for much the same purpose. If neither of these fit, Senyo Laser Dub might be a reasonable replacement, and if you look around there are undoubtedly craft shops in your area where you can get wool in bulk.

Flytyerinpa, the color buff is sorta a range from light cream color to yellow brick color depending when and where, you might get better information by giving the pattern you need the material for.

If by "spun fur or wool" you mean something like Sculpin Wool

And I interpreted this to mean a yarn.

Guess I didn't explain my self to clearly, by spun fur I ment when I bought it, it was marketed as Spun Fur but to me it looked like angora I'm guessing it was about 1/16 of an inch thick and very soft. By Wool I ment it was rough to the feel, was about 1/32 of an inch thick , they both came on a card I'm guessing about 5 foot in length. The color Tan is close I just don't know if its close enough. Years ago I was fishing a Light Cahill wet fly, Brown hackle tail, white wool body, brown hackle, and a wood duck, I only had one with me and after the third trout and 3 or 4 hrs. of fishing at was useless. A little while later a fellow fly fishermen came by and we chatted briefly, When I told him of my luck he opened his box and said here's a couple Light Cahill's for you, I could see the body's were a different color, when I asked him he said it was a buff colored body they work better. I started using Buff for the bodies and my catch rate went up, so who am I to argue about a color that works better.

As described by Wikipedia Buff is the pale yellow-brown colour of the undyed leather of several animals.

Also from Wikipedia Tan is the pale tone of brown the name is derived from tannum used in the tanning of leather, the first recorded use of Tan as a color name was in English was in the year 1590.

Bottom line is they are close in color I'm just not sure if they are close enough.

I once had a couple cards of "spun fur", it was almost a fur chenille, quite fuzzy/woolly, sold I believe by a Massachusetts company that no longer does business. UVC

If that is what you have, I think you can get the same effect by using rabbit fur in a dubbing loop or brush.

As to color you might tie them a bit on the lighter shade and use an art marker to darken them to "match" color. By using dubbing you can also mix colors to get a more desired shade,

One of the reasons I prefer natural fur is that you can find a fair range of hues and shades on a single pelt. And no two pelts are the same. You can find light to medium buff underfur on most red fox skins. (That`s what I use for the Light Cahill.) I think badger, marten and some coyote pelts might also provide suitable dubbing for your wet fly.

If it is Indead for a light Cahill pattern I have 2 shades of dubbing I acquired from Orvis. 1 is yellowishtan almost creame and other is same but a shade darker. I use split thread to make a tight noodle but can use dubbing loop or spin a noodle on your preference.

Guess I didn't explain my self to clearly, by spun fur I ment when I bought it, it was marketed as Spun Fur but to me it looked like angora I'm guessing it was about 1/16 of an inch thick and very soft. By Wool I ment it was rough to the feel, was about 1/32 of an inch thick , they both came on a card I'm guessing about 5 foot in length. The color Tan is close I just don't know if its close enough. Years ago I was fishing a Light Cahill wet fly, Brown hackle tail, white wool body, brown hackle, and a wood duck, I only had one with me and after the third trout and 3 or 4 hrs. of fishing at was useless. A little while later a fellow fly fishermen came by and we chatted briefly, When I told him of my luck he opened his box and said here's a couple Light Cahill's for you, I could see the body's were a different color, when I asked him he said it was a buff colored body they work better. I started using Buff for the bodies and my catch rate went up, so who am I to argue about a color that works better.

As described by Wikipedia Buff is the pale yellow-brown colour of the undyed leather of several animals.

Also from Wikipedia Tan is the pale tone of brown the name is derived from tannum used in the tanning of leather, the first recorded use of Tan as a color name was in English was in the year 1590.

Bottom line is they are close in color I'm just not sure if they are close enough.

Is this the same type of material ? Just click here and scroll quite a ways down the page until you get to Nostalgia. It will be the fifth picture down from that point. He's still an active member here, but I don't think that's going to help you find that exact material. At least not under that name any longer. Dubbing would be way easier.

Regards,

Mark

mark

that spun yarn from the link in your post look very much like angora yarn

detail.jpg?c=1471555787

mohair yarn

il_340x270.1245482668_ij3c.jpg

Unh...that link goes to my BLOG and this is what I have:

P5Wpu7y.jpg

I got that carded fur back in 1975 when Chuck Fothergill's was the only Fly Shop (Aspen) in the Roaring Fork Valley. It is listed under "nostalgia" because I haven't seen any of this since then... and it is still in it's original state because I never found a sensible use for it....tongue.png

PT/TB

What Mark linked to looks just like what I had, was told that it was rabbit, very soft to touch. The card even looks like the UVC card.

Mvendon, your very close it was carded but smaller card the name on the card is The Angler's Supply House Williamsport Pa. and the name stamped on the back BUFF I found a web sight for them but I got a mail demon saying it cant' be delivered, I talked to one guy that goes up that way fishing, he said he use to buy his fly tying stuff there but they went out of business years ago.

I think flytire might have something, I'll have to check out some craft stores.

Mvendon, your very close it was carded but smaller card the name on the card is The Angler's Supply House Williamsport Pa. and the name stamped on the back BUFF I found a web sight for them but I got a mail demon saying it cant' be delivered, I talked to one guy that goes up that way fishing, he said he use to buy his fly tying stuff there but they went out of business years ago.

I think flytire might have something, I'll have to check out some craft stores.

I have a couple old E. Hille catalogs. They were still selling this material in 2003. The description indicates that it's a two ply Angora rabbit hair yarn that was made in France. Wapsi brand still carries it. I found this place that has a 3 ply Angora rabbit yarn from France. They have a good color list picture selection too. No experience as far as buying anything from them though.

Regards,

Mark