Fly Tying
redneck

What are the best flies to use for bluegill

Hey fellow fly fishermen, what are the best flies to use for bluegill. I am a beginner baby.gif and these are the fish I want to start on, then move on to bass and trout. Any information would be greatly appreciated, Redneck.

Do you have any pictures of them? Like I said, I'm a beginner, so I'm complete dumbfounded by the names, but if I can see a picture, I know which ones I need to buy, thanks, Redneck.

Most of my favorites are subsurface flys.

Small Wooly buggers size 8 or 10

user posted image

Soft hackle wet flys, size 10 - 12

user posted image

A rubber legged thing that I copied from a bought fly whose name I can't remember. produced well this year. If this had some foam on the back it would be close to the spider mentioned above.

user posted image

And finally a maribou muddler size 8-12. I prefer them unweighted.

user posted image

Redneck,

as you know, bluegills are voracious feeders and will school in huge numbers....once the school is agitated, they will feed on just about anything if only out of competition with the other fish....my favorites or size 6-10 poppers. wooly buggers in 8-12, and small, but simple crawfish patterns....experiment a little and see what works in your area....cricket and hopper patterns work great spring through autumn!!! wink.gif

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Nov 14 2003, 03:10 PM)
I really like that glass bead bugger, is that grizzly marabou?

Yes, Grizzly maribou for the tail, and grzzly hackle for the body.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=668 Hey, click that, then scroll down to and look at the black thing with the white rubber legs and the red tail. That is a gill getter right there! I could tie you up a few if you wanted me to. They are real easy to tie! I`ll teach you how to tie those at the BDO get together, and also tie you up half a dozen and send them to you, if you want me to, and my dad will let me! Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck

In addition to these mentioned, small poppers with feather tails and active rubber legs, worm patterns like a San Juan worm, very active tailed (marabou) anything - I occasionally test bluegill interest in what I tie on vacation - in the shallow water around my dock, I tease them with all sorts of test patterns. Bluegill can be very accommodating!