Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
pdk9

New to tying and here

I am looking forward to hopefully learning more about tying flies from this forum. I spent 20 years in a high stress work environment and was forced to retire. My doctor strongly suggested fly fishing and tying as a way to "level" things out in life. Thanks in advance for any help or motivation. I live in central Maine.

I originally posted this in the beginners section and reposted here, sorry...

Guest rich mc

welcome to fly tying therapy. i always suggest that a newbie sit and tie with another tyer.if they can . rich mc

I personally can suggest finding a fly fishing club in your area and meeting a few of them that tie and let them know that you are just starting out and see if they have any suggestions as far as starter materials for your area based on the types of fish you go after. It can save a lot of money in that you won't be buying stuff that you won't ever need or use(I have a corner of a room full of stuff).

If you have a question, do a quick search on it, if you don't see it, or it doesn't quite answer your question, please ask it here.

Welcome pdk9, hope tying helps you relax, I find it better in the winter with the wood stove going. Then fly fishing the longer warmer summer days.

Welcome to the site, pdk9.

Fly tying as a stress relief ... only works if you don't try tying deer hair or realistics right off the bat. There are some types of flies that will RAISE your stress levels trying to get them right.