Fly Tying
boflo1

Help with bucktail jig tying

New to tying and the forum. I want to tie bucktails on plain shank 1/4 oz jigs and am having trouble with hair pulling out when I'm done. I'm thinking heavier thread so I can crank down on the hair or maybe layering the hair instead of trying to get it all on at once. Ideas?

reverse tie the hair. tie the hair with the tips extending over the jig head than advance the thread towards the bend a bit. fold the tips of the hair back towards the bend and catch it with the thread and tie down. use some serious thread tension. i also use rod wrapping thread when i tie jigs, super strong.

You may have answered your own question! You don't need an extremely heavy thread, but that could help.

Tying less hair at one time would help also. Basically, start your thread, make a few wraps for a good foundation, and to keep the thread from slipping, add your hair allowing it to circle the entire shank, or jig collar if you tie on jig heads that have a collar. A few more wraps of thread, then add more hair, and repeat as many times as you wish to get the desired amount of hair.

You can also add a drop of cement when you start, and at some of the repeats. Many of us use Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails, clear finger nail polish as a tying cement. Works quite well too.

I tie mine a little differently from Tidewater. Rather than spin the clumps around the shank or collar, I tie in small clumps one at a time rotating around the collar. I use small clumos and repeat the process if I want a thicker jig

post-18514-0-44414600-1382394429_thumb.jpg post-18514-0-41832200-1382394518_thumb.jpg post-18514-0-22742800-1382394576_thumb.jpg post-18514-0-41985800-1382394640_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tips guys. I hadn't even thought of reversing the hair. I'm gonna get after it now! Beautiful stuff in the pix and that's what I'm striving for agn54!

I tie mine a little differently from Tidewater. Rather than spin the clumps around the shank or collar, I tie in small clumps one at a time rotating around the collar. I use small clumos and repeat the process if I want a thicker jig

I also tie like this too, a bit of both depending on the jig size & the hair. Some hair seems to want to spin, so I just go with it, particularly if I'm tying around a hook shank. Around a collar, often I'll use small clumps. The main point of my post is to get the correct result, like the jigs in the pictures that Agn54 posted. You want the hair as even as you can get it around the jig. Great looking jigs BTW! wub.png

Two other points that you may or may not be aware of. First, bucktails, like any other natural material can vary greatly for one tail to the next. Pick & choose if you can to get the best hair & the most for your money (if you buy them). Second, It's been posted before I'm sure, but the hair from the base end of a bucktail is often more hollow than that closer to the tip end and is what tends to flare out easier. The upper third is often the better hair. Most of us who tie with bucktail in our streamer flies, prefer to use the hair that does not easily flare. However, it can still be very useful. I like to use it on bigger jigs, because it can make them appear fuller without adding a lot of extra & undesired bulk. That hollow hair can also be used to slow down the fall rate of some jigs, particularly light weight jigs. I don't like wasting anything so I find a use for materials even when it's not the best.

Thanks guys. I think Tidewater's post is spot on. You can spin it, especially on smaller jigs or on the shank, or do it in clumps, the end result of evenness is what matters. Find what works best for you. His description of the bucktail is really helpful. I actually often like to use the hollow hair near the base for the reasons he mentioned. It flairs nicely and gives the illusion of bulk while still giving transparency. Other times the softer hair works better. The pink jig in the first picture is tied with hair near the base so it flared. The banana jigs in the 2nd pic are tied with softer hair near the tip. It depends on what you want to go for, but you can use all of the hair on the tail and not waste any

I just tied up a few bucktails and I was able to use all of your tips to improve my ties. I'm a ways away yet, but each one seems a little better. This is a great forum and I am really glad you guys chipped in to help. Thanks much!