Fly Tying
CVCal

Hackle Gauge

Hi,

I just got a new Griffith Hook/Hackle gauge and so far have been unable to grasp the user directions. Are there instructional pictures available or can someone explain what I am looking for when I wrap a hackle around the post? Appearently I'm dense when it comes to figuring it out!

Thanks Cal

when you wrap the hackle on the post notice the lines with numbers next to them where the hackle fiber stops look at the line follow it around to the number that number is the hook size that hackle is used for

OK, . Next question. When I wrap the hackle around the post, Do I position it in the middle of the hackle or near one end or the other? Thanks for the info.

Cal

The barbs on a good quality dry fly hackle should be relatively uniform, however

I usually measure mid-hackle. I seldom use a gauge, but when I do, I always

measure against the hook before tying in, as well. Many gauges tend to be off as much as a hook size.

IMG_1143.JPG

Mike

Thanks, that helps a lot. The picture is great too. Just wanted to be sure I'm doing it right!

i think the best hackle gage is putting a hook in the vise and bending your feather around the shank of the hook.

for dry flies the hackle lenght should be about 1 1/2 times the gap of the hook.