Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Casting For Recovery Fly Boxes

Tie a donation

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#16 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:20 AM

I'm in again thanks for the heads up bro

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#17 Li'lDave

Li'lDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:16 AM

You still need a tyer mate?

Dave Little

#18 joseph russell

joseph russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:23 AM

Yeah keep me on Bob

#19 hairwing

hairwing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:21 AM

I'm in...if the spots open ?

"As far down the river as he could see, the trout where rising, making circles all down the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."-E.H. Big Two Hearted River
"As far as the eye could see,several hundred yards at least, the entire surface of the water was a mass of dimpling rise forms, occurring and recurring with increasing tempo as the evening advanced." V. Marinaro...A Modern Dry Fly Code.

#20 djtrout

djtrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

I'm in if spot is open.  I posted yesterday but apparently it didn't take.

All types of fishing challenge, inspire, and energize me; but a day of solitude on a brook trout stream reconciles me with the world.

#21 BattenkillBum

BattenkillBum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:33 AM

im in

#22 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

Thanks for your interest  djtrout and BattenkillBum , but the last spot is taken.  I will keep you in mind if someone should have to drop out.  You can always donate to CRF through their website: http://castingforrecovery.org/

“The thing about fishing is that it gives a man hope.  Each cast builds a little hope and if he can lose himself to that hope, then the worries and the heartache fade into the background.  The wind inside him dies down for a while”

The Royal Wulff Murders, by Keith McCafferty

Fishing Bob

#23 djtrout

djtrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:49 PM

yup, gotta move fast around here ...

thanks!

All types of fishing challenge, inspire, and energize me; but a day of solitude on a brook trout stream reconciles me with the world.

#24 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:29 PM

Just to clarify a few things, you've given guidelines for two flies of each category which comes to 10. Am I missing something or should we just pick a couple of the categories to tie an extra in? Also, my hook supply in some categories is in bad need of updating so I ended tying a bugger on a 4 and a 10. Makes a nice size differential of very usable flies. Will this work okay? Hook sizes from various companies have varied a ridiculous amount of late so it's hard to keep everyone's the same anyway by just going by #. 

The sizes you're using are larger than most of us have been in the habit of tying so it actually makes it easier to get a decent looking fly for the guys.

#25 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:31 AM

Any combination of the suggested patterns and sizes is fine.  The five patterns are those requested by CFR.  In the past some tyers have done three each of four patterns.  These women are all first time fly fishers so the larger sizes make it easier for them to learn to see the fly.

“The thing about fishing is that it gives a man hope.  Each cast builds a little hope and if he can lose himself to that hope, then the worries and the heartache fade into the background.  The wind inside him dies down for a while”

Fishing Bob

#26 Li'lDave

Li'lDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:32 PM

Silly question B,

Is it best if we provide flies to fit all categories?

Dave Little

#27 hairwing

hairwing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

FWIW....this is what I tied. No charge for pink ! Thought the gals would appreciate the color. Hope I did it correctly. 6 wets and 6 dry flies. Sorry ...don't have any beads.

2-  #6 Olive Woolly Buggers

2- #8 Gold Ribbed Hares Ear

2- #10 Rio Grande King Trude

2- #8 Marabou Wing Royal Coachman wets

2- #10 Orange ants (pink post)

2- #10 Gulper Special (pink post)

005_zpse0fe6b51.jpg

"As far down the river as he could see, the trout where rising, making circles all down the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."-E.H. Big Two Hearted River
"As far as the eye could see,several hundred yards at least, the entire surface of the water was a mass of dimpling rise forms, occurring and recurring with increasing tempo as the evening advanced." V. Marinaro...A Modern Dry Fly Code.

#28 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:41 PM

Perfect!  The pink is fine.  That is a great selection for a retreat.

Fishing Bob

#29 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:43 PM

Silly question B,

Is it best if we provide flies to fit all categories?

If possible, but since this is a donation, I let you decide what you want to tie.  By the way, Dave, your mail box is full.  If you need my address you will have to clean it out a little. 

Fishing Bob

#30 Li'lDave

Li'lDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:17 AM

By the way, Dave, your mail box is full.  If you need my address you will have to clean it out a little.

Done :)

Dave Little