Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Saltybum

Back on the water

Wednesday was four weeks post op on the arm surgery. Doc says nothing heavier than a coffee cup with that arm for another four more weeks.

Well it's not my rod hand but if it was my 8wt with reel is only 11 ounces anyway. So off the flats I went Monday. Saw maybe five reds but no takers.

Tuesday got a rat and broke off a slot after it went through a dock and under a pipe. Fortunately the barnacles didn't shred my leader to bad and tied on another fly but no more takers. Some guy pretty close were on a school of big black drum but being polite I didn't wade over and join in since they were staying right on top of the school.

Finally the school moves away from them but also at a high rate to deeper water and way north. Hmmm, maybe should have cut in anyway.

Weds. After seeing more fish Tues in the finally cleaner water I hit the same area but was not having success with the reds I was seeing or small black drum that were very skittish. Had my shrimpy fly turned down by what I had thought was a red but then realized it was a nice trout. Switch over to a mullet imitation and fooled the next one. Maybe 24" and healthy. Got a nice underwater shot of it. Heading back I saw ( of course after she saw me ) a true gator of 28-30". Hadn't seen one that big in a year after our major fish kill last spring. Very encouraging.

Can't wait now till the wind quits blowing but my arm and hand needed a break anyhow.

post-44758-0-70898900-1481917362_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-87056100-1481917376_thumb.jpg

Good to hear you're back in the swing of things. Take it easy for a bit on the arm.

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone.

Betty, I'm glad the surgery was on the right arm because I'm left a handed caster while my right just holds the line.

And believe me I ain't going after 100lb tarpon, just small reds and sea trout.