Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

What did you all tie this weekend?

Not much of a fishing weekend due to high water so it was a good time to stock up on salmon flies for the upcoming trip. Tied up 50 glo-bugs using OSD's awesome glo-bug tying trick. Will upload some pics when I get a chance.

Anybody else get a chance to do some tying over the weekend? I'd love to see some pics

Normally, weekends are my free time on the bench. I try to keep most of my commercial tying during the weekdays. But at times, I GOTTA step away from the bench.

But, was tying up some wogs for the coming salmon season (just hope I get the OK from the docs to fish them). Well, tied up a frog pattern for a guy on another board. Wish my razor wasnt so dull. Have to head to the store and buy a new pack. Had no idea I was out. LOL. but here's two of what I tied. These were tied for myself. Here's a pink wog

user posted image

Here's the frog

user posted image

Wish the frog came out better. Gonna go and actually take a true pic of it. I forgot to take a digital of it, so threw it in my scanner. Only problem, with the scanne the body profile makes it sit sideways. So you lose alot of the effect of the stacked hair on it. But you get the idea. But the chartruese and pink wogs are the one's I was actually tying.

What kind of Salmon are you going after, those are some pretty wild lookin patterns shocking.gif

What size hook you use for your wogs and frogs

Those are tied on size 2 gami saltwater hooks. Used up what I had left. I get better deals now through daiichi and dairiki, so all my hooks are by them. I don't use much for saltwater hooks, so last me awhile.

Actually, we fish for chinook and coho (kings and silvers) with them. They're a dry fly for them. But, for added excitement, I'll add to a fast sink tip line. Pulls the fly under and really excites the fish. Great fly.

The frog is on an #2 hook as well. Just kept tying on same hooks. I normally tie up to a size 2/0 for salmon. Sometimes, up to a 5/0 if the big Nooks are in (around 50#'s). This is in Washington state, so we don't get the 70-90#'s here, at least not enough to catch. laugh.gif But, catch a few in the 50 and an occasional 60 though.

Wow OSD those are some nice lookin flies! Stocking up on your steelhead collection I see. Or was you planning on catchin a few Salmon this year. Very, very nice. Wish I had the time to tie up a few dozen before the trip, but I'm not sure I can swing it. If you get a chance can you post some tying instructions just in case I get a moment to tie up a few.