Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastern fly

How It's Made

Yeah... I did watch it again.

Still looking for those freakin' groves... smile.png

Watch the top of the jaws on the very last shot, You will see an indent along the mating surface. That is the edge of the curved groove that goes through one side of the jaws. They found a very good "median" groove that worked on most hook bends. BUT, if you miss set a hook it can cause the jaw to fracture right at the mating surface you see in that pic. It looks like just a chip off the edge, but every hook you set in there will make stress cracks at the broken edge. So you hook a great fish and find your hook snapped thanks to that stupid little chip.

But i still love Regal??? Am i just crazy?

When they remove the white fly look at the far edge.

I don't own a Regal Cold but I like your post and I'm betting that you're probably right.

Many years ago i went fishing one day to test a pattern variant against a local hatch. I actually had 4 or 5 flies all break at the same point in the bend. It took me a while to look at the jaws of my vice. I had had that vice for about 10 years when that happened. I never could figure out how it got chipped either. It isn't like i was going crazy pulling on the flies or going real big. I have no idea how it got chipped, i just learned the results of that chip real quick.

I think i may still have those jaws??? I stripped it for parts to mod a couple of other i have bought over the years. I do like Regal that much. But there is something to watch out for on them.

I actually taught my ex's daughter and grand daughter how to tie on Regals because they are so easy to use and normally ruggedly reliable. I can not answer how or why this chipping happens sometimes.

I know that Mustad 94840's for a while were or seemed improperly tempered and would break at the top of the hook bend now and then. But I never heard of a vise that crimped a hook in a such a way that it would cause that. This was a hook problem. They are redesigned now, back then they were ground and had flat sides on the bend portion of the hook, today they are either chemically sharpened or laser. It's a different hook, I bought a couple of boxes last year , they look different for sure and i even bent one to see if that problem was gone. They seem fine..

I don't think I'll ever own a Regal vise anyway so non of it matters to me.

If you told me it happened five times over the years, I would blame the vise.

Five hooks in a row, same model, same size, I blame the hooks.

Maybe, But going to another vice till i could afford to replace the Regal stopped the breaks...And i did buy another Regal.

Each of the 3 ties i was testing that day called for different hooks also.