Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Leaf season in western N.C.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 05:46 PM

Leaf color is at its peak here this week.  This is an exceptionally nice leaf season this year.  Last couple of days were unfortunately grey and rainy.... leaf color is best with the sun shining.  Here's a pic of a tree that I planted several years back.  It's about 35 feet high. Those are 100 foot poplars, etc., behind it. 

Attached Files

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it."

Agatha Christie

"No one wants advice -- only corroboration."

John Steinbeck

"I had six faithful serving men, they taught me all I knew.

Their names were what? and why? and when? and how? and where? and who?"
Rudyard Kipling

#2 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,742 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:04 PM

Those are pretty colors, true ... BUT ...

People see different things in fall colors.

I see a premonition of hours of raking leading to snow and cold and miserable months of Winter.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:18 PM

That's why I bought property up on the side of a mountain, with NO LAWN!   From the back lot line to the front lot line is a 200 ft. drop.  BTW, that tree is about 30 feet behind the holly hedge that you see, and the base of the tree is about 20 feet lower than the part you see.

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it."

Agatha Christie

John Steinbeck

Rudyard Kipling

#4 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:57 PM

My place is somewhere up there.

Attached Files

Agatha Christie

John Steinbeck

Rudyard Kipling

#5 Goose77

Goose77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:56 PM

Very nice. Looks like you've got a great spot. Is there any fishin' and did you use your new camera? Thank you, Ed

#6 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:13 PM

Thanx Ed.  There's lots of fishing if you like fishing trout streams.  I'm into lake fishing, and there aren't many lakes in this part of the state.  What there are tend to be reservoirs, and totally surrounded by private homesites.  I did find one nice lake adjacent to the DuPont Forest that, while it is all privately owned, does have a sort of semi-public access... the only owner that is right on the lake  is a campground that will let you launch a canoe/kayak from their ramp if you pay for a day's campsite.  The rest of the owners' houses, if they exist at all, are up the hill and back in the woods, so you don't see them.  Believe it or not, the state stocks this lake.  It has LMB, SMB, white and black crappies, perch, bluegills, walleye, and who knows what else.  But I have not brought my canoe up here and so haven't made an attempt to fish in NC.  I do my fishing in Florida.

Ashamed to admit I still haven't tried the new camera.  Maybe I'll give it a try while the trees are still nice.

Agatha Christie

John Steinbeck

Rudyard Kipling