Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Intro to the forum (and my trash flies)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 alcga

alcga

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:29 PM

Everyone,

Just wanted to quickly introduce myself to the forum. The wealth of information and support of members here is great - thanks for having me. I live in GA and am thankful that I get to fish just about every weekend. I've been tying for about a year and the less discriminating fish seem to eat my flies from time to time. Here's a few pics of what I've been tying recently...

-Aaron

Attached File  IMG_1491 2.JPG   160.39KB   1 downloads
Attached File  IMG_1780.JPG   134.66KB   0 downloads
Attached File  IMG_1435.JPG   103.39KB   0 downloads
Attached File  IMG_1626.JPG   157.27KB   0 downloads

#2 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,755 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:22 PM

Welcome to the site, Alcga.  This probably should have been in the "introduce yourself" forum, rather than the "photography corner" forum ... but it ain't gonna cause any real grief.  Looks like some good flies ... What are you fishing for in your neck o' the woods?

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 alcga

alcga

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:45 PM

Welcome to the site, Alcga.  This probably should have been in the "introduce yourself" forum, rather than the "photography corner" forum ... but it ain't gonna cause any real grief.  Looks like some good flies ... What are you fishing for in your neck o' the woods?

Just realized that I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum - sorry guys. Please feel free to move or delete this thread, admin.

Mike, thanks. Mostly N. Georgia trout but have a feeling that I'll need to head back up to TN when things warm up to get my smallie fix. Used to be tough to trade a trout fishing day for bass but find myself missing the good SMB fishing up there.

#4 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,755 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:30 PM

Fishing is fishing.  Never chased trout, myself, but I have caught a few up at my Dad's in Wyoming.  

Every once in a while, my job takes me near the places where trout are supposed to be, but I never seem to be there at the right times.  (Winter, up North, fishing is painful for me at that time)

I do know that the trout I have caught didn't thrill me any more than a good Bluegill or nice Bass.  Didn't thrill me any less, either.  One fish on the hook is as good as another.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#5 Kentuckysteve

Kentuckysteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:18 PM

Welcome to the forum Alcga.Great looking flies.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing........Than the worm. -  Patrick F. McManus

#6 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:41 PM

Aaron welcome !  Hey maybe along the way the guys up in the fly fishing forum and in the tying forum can get you hooked up with a few more fish than you're catching now. Your flies are fine but there may something more in the offering yet !

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#7 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:36 PM

Welcome Aaron.  I live in Fla half time and western NC the other half but I've never yet fished for trout.  I prefer lake fishing.  Those are nice flies but I'd like a better view of what looks to me like a crawfish with white claws (the third pic).  It sounds like maybe you're in the Gainesville Ga area, in which case you're in reach of both streams and some good lakes up north of Atlanta, and lots of great reservoirs in eastern TN.   Let us see some of those smallmouths... we don't get lots of news about them.

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it."

Agatha Christie

"No one wants advice -- only corroboration."

John Steinbeck

"I had six faithful serving men, they taught me all I knew.

Their names were what? and why? and when? and how? and where? and who?"
Rudyard Kipling

#8 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:42 PM

By the way Aaron, you might want to go to your profile and beef it up a little bit so guys can know a little about you down the road when they want to reply to your posts.  It sometimes helps us provide useful answers if we know something about the person we're answering.

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it."

Agatha Christie

"No one wants advice -- only corroboration."

John Steinbeck

"I had six faithful serving men, they taught me all I knew.

Their names were what? and why? and when? and how? and where? and who?"
Rudyard Kipling

#9 skeet3t

skeet3t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:17 PM

North GA has some outstanding trout fishing.  I have a friend who has several mounts of rainbows over 24 inches.  Depending on where you live, three come to mind that friends fish- Soque Creek, Toccoa River, Jack's River.  Jack's is on the TN/GA line east of US 411; for reference Toccoa runs through Blue Ridge and is called the Ocoee in TN.  Now you have committed to fish pictures, you know.

John Torchick

So much water, so little time!
Enjoying the Creation, Praising the Creator!