Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

First Peony of the season

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:10 PM

Steve.... there are several things that cause blooming problems.  Most common are:

1.  as Mike says, peonies need full sun... 4 to 6 hours a day.  Your plant is right near the house, suggesting that light could become an issue.

2.  it's a new plant.  Peonies can take several years after planting or moving to start behaving.

The fact that you got one good bloom and several failed blooms makes me think neither is the problem here.  It looks to me as if you have a condition known as bud blast.  See the pic.  Any stress can cause it.  If you had a late frost or cold snap after the buds had begun forming (before you could even see them), it could cause bud blast.  You might consider talking to the local extension service to see if perhaps lots of people are having bud blast this year.

That is a really pretty plant though, and I predict next year barring any late cold snaps, that you'll get good blooms.

Attached Files

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it."

Agatha Christie

"No one wants advice -- only corroboration."

John Steinbeck

"I had six faithful serving men, they taught me all I knew.

Their names were what? and why? and when? and how? and where? and who?"
Rudyard Kipling

#17 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,862 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:15 PM

It looks to me as if you have a condition known as bud blast.  See the pic.  Any stress can cause it.  If you had a late frost or cold snap after the buds had begun forming (before you could even see them), it could cause bud blast

You know what, that may very well be it. We had a few nights frost warning here later than normal, after the buds formed, it did not actually frost but it was cold. I bet that may have done it. I didn't even think about that.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#18 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,731 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:15 AM

Good call, Flafly !!!
Bud Blast ... sounds like a beer party.  You might have to design a fly for that name !!!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#19 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,862 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:04 PM

peony_zpsckrowkko.jpg

Thought you might like this pic FlaFly. This is one of my sisters Peonies in her back yard. It's been in their yard for over 20 years now is is just a monster of a plant. I keep telling her I'm gonna sneak over while she's at work and dig it up lol

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#20 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:31 PM

That's really special.  Looks like "Bowl of Beauty".  Am I right?  Tell sis she did good.

The amazing thing about peonies is that they completely disappear over winter, but in the spring these little red shoots appear, and within a few weeks you have a bush like that!  I like that one because it has short flower stems.  Some like "Sara Bernhart" have stems 3 or 4 feet long, and by the third day the bloom is lying on the ground under its own weight. 

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it."

Agatha Christie

"No one wants advice -- only corroboration."

John Steinbeck

"I had six faithful serving men, they taught me all I knew.

Their names were what? and why? and when? and how? and where? and who?"
Rudyard Kipling