Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

White balance

White balance

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JAMAL

JAMAL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:35 PM

I have adjusted manually the White balance with a white card. when taking picture the white came out white but the surrounding color look funny. what is the problem? but in auto white balance all are ok.

33v2hxz.jpg

#2 Kentuckysteve

Kentuckysteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:41 PM

What camera are you using?Make sure the white card completely fills the screen and that is all you see in the photo you use to set the white balance.Also the white card needs to be in the same light as the photo's you intend to take after setting it.Make sure there is no reflection on the white card.If you shoot in the RAW setting you can adjust the white balance more when processing.You may try using a 18%grey card to set the white balance.With my canon equipment it seem's to do better than a white card in most situations.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing........Than the worm. -  Patrick F. McManus

#3 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,748 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:52 PM

I have adjusted manually the White balance with a white card. when taking picture the white came out white but the surrounding color look funny. what is the problem? but in auto white balance all are ok.

"Hey Doc!  When I do this, it really hurts!"  Doc: "Then don't do that!"

If everything is okay in auto ... why try to manually do it?

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#4 JAMAL

JAMAL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:40 AM

after doing then I find out, so now I know to use Auto.

33v2hxz.jpg

#5 Cold

Cold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:30 PM

#6 vb1971

vb1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:44 AM

Knowing how to manually adjust white balance is important, especially photos taken under different lighting.

I will always take a few photos of my grey cards when out taking photographs.  I then set that as the white balance when in post production, copy the recipe and paste it to other photographs taken at the same time under same light conditions.  

If I don't have a grey card I adjust the white balance based on any grey area in the photograph (clothing, pavements, shadows etc).

This means you can take as many photos as you want and not stress to much about the white balance at the time.  Concentrate on composition etc instead.  

BTW I tale all my photos is RAW format and then covert to JPEG

Cheers

VB1971

#7 The Mad Duck

The Mad Duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:50 PM

Photoshop has a function that allows you to change white balance in post production. Thats a pretty handy function if you dont have a gray card.

We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About