Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Reptiles!

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:45 PM

Got to survey for one of the Southeastern United States' most endangered snakes today! Also got to play around with a camera that was my girlfriends. Its a canon. That is all I know. It is much better than my iPhone 7. Bonus points to anyone who can idenitfy these species. Please no anti-snake comments. If you have any reptile or amphibian photos you would like to share, post them below.

Attached Files

<p>"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous"

Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"

Tenkara is only for little fish!                                                                     </p>

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,864 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:47 PM

Not sure what species but cool looking turtle smile.png I've always like them. Bought my Niece a ERS back about 5 years ago, it's gotten HUGE now. Probably a soild 12"-13" across it's shell.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#3 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:48 PM

Forgot this dude :D

Attached Files

<p>"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous"

Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"

Tenkara is only for little fish!                                                                     </p>

#4 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,734 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:59 PM

The black snake is an Indigo.  I moved to Florida with the hopes of seeing one of those.  Not a one in 26 years.

A gopher Tortoise ... we had two living in our yard for a while.

The Rattler is a Diamondback ... beautiful and deadly.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#5 Mogup

Mogup

You guys are very cranky !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:05 PM

Nice pics. Always was interested in snakes and other reptiles and amphibians.

#6 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 01:39 PM

Nice Mike. Indeed that's all correct. That rattler was the first Diamondback I've ever encountered. An awe inspiring experienced I won't soon forget.

How about these guys?

Attached File  IMG_6183.JPG   61.28KB   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6179.JPG   239.7KB   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6171.JPG   140.19KB   1 downloads

#7 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,864 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:00 PM

qUxlqS.jpg

Thought you might like to see this Bronc. Here's a pic of Tammy the RES turtle I was telling you I bought my Niece some years back. She thought it was "Timmy" until just 6 months ago when it laid eggs. So now it's Tammy lol

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#8 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,734 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:32 PM

American Anole ... Becoming somewhat rare where the Brown Anole populations are booming.  I see many more of them along the waters I fish, than I do at my house.

#2 appears to be a Common Snapping Turtle ... but it also appears to be a young one.

Last one is an American Toad ... well, a pair of them ready to "make whoopie" !!!

Here's a couple of the snakes I've met.

Attached File  little rattler 2.JPG   122.61KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Brown Water Snake.JPG   227.61KB   0 downloads

Barbed hooks rule!

#9 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:09 PM

Nice Steve, yes sexing turtles can be difficult. I used to keep a RES as well as a Florida softshell. Will look for pics.

Nice Mike! The snapper was fully grown. About as long as my boot (a little over 14") and very feisty. I pulled it off a 4 lane highway.

The toads are southern toads, a close relative of the American Toad.

Beautiful Diamondback. Can you share the approximate location and backstory to that?

And also a gorgeous water snake. Looks to be a Florida green Watersnake. I've yet to see one of those.

#10 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,734 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:26 PM

The rattler was swimming in a small channel off a small lake called Lake Dupont in Deltona.  It is also an old picture from several years ago.  Even with this Summer's rain, that lake is still so low there's no public access right now.

I am not sure about the Water Snake.  I couldn't get a clear view to determine if it's a Green or Brown.

Barbed hooks rule!

#11 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,734 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:30 PM

Nice Mike! The snapper was fully grown. About as long as my boot (a little over 14") and very feisty. I pulled it off a 4 lane highway.

Wow!  Nice specimen.  Turtles that size usually have scars and moss growing on them.

Barbed hooks rule!

#12 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:45 PM

Snappers (as well as softshells) spend so much time burrying in the muck and sand that moss doesn't get enough sunlight to grow, and the shell is kept pretty well polished. Basically being wet sanded 24/7. He did have a few leeches, visible on the back edge of the shell, above the tail.

#13 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,864 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:47 PM

American Anole ... Becoming somewhat rare

What are you talking about Mike? I've been dealing with them for years this place is full of American Anole's...oh wait, I thought you said something else happy.pnglaugh.png

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#14 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,734 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:33 PM

laugh.png @ Steve !!!

The type you're thinking of, Steve, is definitely NOT endangered.

Barbed hooks rule!

#15 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:28 AM

I always wonder if armadillos eat some young snakes  along with the worms they hunt. Habitat hasn't changed that much here in the last 40 years and we have lots less snakes now of all kinds. See very few road kills. It has to be either the armadillos or the increase of raptors because those are the new things here that could prey on snakes. 

Unless some disease is getting them?