Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Office version 3.0

45 replies to this topic

#16 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,165 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:34 PM

Full day of work into the new tanks/remodel today. Still have a lot to do but progressing well. Probably be a while before the next updates as the next step will be building the two 3D backgrounds which will take a bit of time.
uXbjFc.jpg
KRd3ep.jpg
1gqQQ2.jpg
KzpolL.jpg
kPVMlX.jpg
NXc6y5.jpg
ypCcQQ.jpg
BuWInj.jpg
Knktv6.jpg

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#17 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,065 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:21 AM

Looking spectacular already.  I'm dying to see them finished and alive with fish!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#18 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,165 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:20 PM

OF7pbD.jpg

Well I said I was not gonna work on this for a bit and take a little break, but I should have known I can't stay off of a project once I have one going. So started cutting and working on the 3d background for the first tank today.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#19 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,165 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 01:59 PM

NI1GZR.jpg

Blizzard of foam flyin' around the shop today as the first of the 3d backgrounds for the pair of 120's starts to take shape.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#20 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,065 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:55 PM

You're getting really good at making those backgrounds! 

I see Leonard and Sheldon are suffering through the Helium Shortage again!

Have you tried using a heat gun to get a flowing rock look?  "Lava form" kind of?

Barbed hooks rule!

#21 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,165 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:30 PM

I use a heat gun for texture Mike but with foam it won't really flow like that. If you hold heat to it too long it will just ball up and melt but not flow.

WM82fk.jpg
17PGUs.jpg

Managed to get the hard part (all the carving & burning) of the first background done today. Lots of painting and sealing left but that's much less work than the carving.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#22 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,065 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:08 PM

Outstanding ... which is the norm for you.

Barbed hooks rule!

#23 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,165 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:44 AM

With the site being down I was not able to update anything that was done for a bit. Last week in between rod work I was able to get the back ground carving all finished and then got it painted and all the detail work on the background done. Just waiting now for an order of Pond Armor sealer to come in sometime next week so that I can seal the first background. Once that is sealed and installed then I'll be able to get the rest of the first tank done and get the fish moved over so I can start work on the 2nd background.

Also got a new pick up this weekend when I went to the shop. Found a beautiful light color Delhezi, same species as my first one but this one is built like a Sherman tank and is a really nice light color, almost white. Put them together a few days ago and that are getting along really well.

U5Owex.jpg
qdWte6.jpg
49G0lS.jpg
CyntIU.jpg

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#24 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,065 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:33 PM

Because of the times that I'll be in Hoffman Estates, I don't think I am going to be able to make the trip over there this year.

But you are sure making me hope I CAN swing it.

Barbed hooks rule!

#25 cphubert

cphubert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:45 PM

Coming along nicely Steve. Enjoyed the clip on the pair of Delhezi good thing they get along the big one looks like it could eat the smaller one. Got to keep your posts from the wife or she'll find more for me to do.

#26 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,165 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:22 PM

Had to take a bit of a break while I waited for the kit of Pond Armor to arrive so I could seal this first background. That showed up today so now have the first of the two BG's sealed. With a little luck I should be able to get it installed for good in the tank and then be able to start adding substrate and plants / wood etc in the next week or so.
I9HHwj.jpg

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#27 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,065 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:26 PM

Hurry UP !!!

Just kidding ... eagerly awaiting the next installment.

Barbed hooks rule!

#28 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 05:13 PM

I am happy that makes you happy. For me, fish are out there to feed ME, not for me to feed THEM. I can watch a fish tank for limited periods but can watch a campfire for hours.Especially if teh campfire has some fish fillets cooking over it. You have to be a massive Type A to do all that you do, still make all the rods, and still find occasional time to fish, Can't understand how you had time to put on all the weight you then turned around and lost with your work schedule.

Nick

#29 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,165 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:07 PM

Was able to spend a bit of time on the new dual 120g project the past few days. Background is sealed and installed now, tan PFS washed and in, all live plants in this tank. Decided against dual LED fixtures and went with twin bulb flor's with warm color tone and then added two hanging LED 1000lum spot lights for a more dramatic lighting look for the bichirs. Just have to pick up some java moss I bought from the auction next weekend and attach that to the branches and this first 120 will be ready to move the bichirs over so I can start on the 2nd 120g tanks background.
zlwCNa.jpg
LfPHZF.jpg

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#30 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,065 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:23 AM

Do you go out and find those pieces of wood?  Or are you buying those from a supply shop?

They look fantastic ... truly bringing the "natural" look into the aquarium.

Have you ever tried an aquarium bridge?

Barbed hooks rule!

Reply to this topic