Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
wilhelm tell

Clauser Minnow

Hello,

Please take a look at my Clauser Minnow. I have a few questions about this one that I tied. I did research on web and found a variety of tying instructions.

Question 1: Is the nose too long? (placement of the eyes)

Question 2: Is crystal flash need? (required for original)

Question 3: Is the thread wrapped too far back on the body?

Question 4: Should the thread (white) match the body base (underside of minnow)?

Question 5: Head cement or no head cement?

Now I understand that there are endless patterns and I can make whatever I want. I just would like to learn the correct (original) way first.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

post-55-1125460757.jpg

1- I don't think so.

2- Your choice.

3- Yes, but that is my personal opinion and some guys like it that way.

4- I like the white thread because it seems to blend better and look more like a baitfish.

5- Definetly head cement. If you fish it towards the bottom the rocks and stuff will tear the head apart.

I will also add that from the picture I think it is a little to thick on the hair. I like them a little bit sparcer. Once again though that is just personal preference. Other than that it is a great tie and will work.

The fly looks great. The nose is fine, the thread wraps for the body is fine, the colors are great....got yourself a well tied Clouser!

The fly is usually tied very sparse like Blueman said. I had luck with mine this year that maybe used 8 to 10 strands of each color at the most. It wouldn't hurt to have some fuller like yours which should work great for stained water.

Good job, nice fly headbang.gif

You didn't do what most beginners do on a Clouser...place the eyes to close to the hook eye. When I tie my clousers I actually leave even a little more space than you do for a slightly longer nose. most people do tie their Clousers with too much material (I'm guilty way to often of this myself). The fly is not supposed to look full but should look rathe sparse and stremalined. I'd say this was a finde start on tying Clouser minnows.

Mark Delaney

Thanks a lot! That kind of feedback is what I was looking for.

One more question if I may:

What should the length of the tail be(the hair body of the bait fish, after the hook)?

Im pretty happy with it, but for the size hook, the tail looks long to me.

Also, id be interested in seeing others' Clauser Minnow.

Thank again!

Chris

For the body length the way I tie "most" of them, is go 2X the hook shank, but that is just me, remember, real minnows aren't all 3" long so IMO it doesn't matter how long it is as long as it looks like a minnow.

For the nose length I set the barbell ees sideways on the hook shank right up to the eye and that is the length of my head(or atleast thats what it starts out being laugh.gif )

Yours looks like it will work fine to me headbang.gif

I like to tie mine on 1X hook shanks and don't go as far back on the shank with the bottom wraps. I like your use of white thread to match the bottom hair. I often use white for the whole fly. The darker colored to layer of hair comes through the white after applying hard-as-nails to the head wraps. I also like to fill in the head area under the barbells by doubling back the bottom layer of hair. This gives a fuller looknig head, while keeing the body fairly sparse.

Your fly looks great, but try using the shorter shanked hooks while keeping the hair wing length the same. This allows for more a waving action on those quick jerk type strips wink.gif

AA

Well, I decided to try a clauser minnow after taking a break from them. I've been working on a few other fly (practice, practice).

Here are a few things that I have added thanks to the suggestions previously posted.

Red and White bucktail on a 2/0 with mono weed guard.

1. Less Bucktail

2. Smaller diameter head (thanks to less bucktail)

3. Shorter nose (like that better)

4. Shorter use of thread on the body (like that better then the full body)

5. No flash (forgot it)

6. Red thread rather then white on the main body (just for giggles)

All in all I really enjoy tying these little minnows.

Thanks again for all the previous posts. Very helpful.

post-55-1126576956.jpg

Clouser Deep Minnow and sparce vs. full wings.

I have a collection of flies tied by Bob Clouser for reference. When fishing with him on his home river a few years ago, I quized Bob on the question of wings. He stated that for his river the wings work best full with crystal flash. The saltwater FF and for clear rivers & lakes the very sparce versions work better. There is no exact or correct way to tie a Clouser,,,,it is a STYLE of fly that can be adoped to your conditions. Wings are made from bucktail, Artic fox tail, black bear,,,,most of the synthetic hairs,,,,,they are all the same fly.

When Bob started guiding on the Susky he noticed the greater success the spin caster were having with lead head jigs,,,,,this was the motivation for the development for this fly. Lefty Kreh was friends with Bob and helped test the flys on many of his exotic saltwater trips and on the local smallmouth rivers.

Regards,

Fred Krow