Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
samsonboi

Ekich Ultimate Bobbin

I'm waiting for my Ekich Bobbin to arrive, I'm really psyched! It's a great bobbin, made with much more care than Nor-Vise's product. I really don't like the Nor-Vise bobbin. Any input on the Ekich bobbin?

Which model....?

Be sure to go to Faruk's "Ultimate Bobbin" web site to become familiar with usage tips...

the spool must pay out / retrieve in the proper direction and...

after approximately 20" of payout, the spool must be unseated to reset the take-up spring...

second nature with a bit of practice and can be done with one hand...

I really enjoy my Ekich gear...!

post-25465-0-40178900-1576288023_thumb.jpeg

I have a couple of the Nor Vise auto bobbins. The very old one is great but the newer one does not woks as well. I to would like to try the Ekich bobbin but the price puts me off.

Thanks

Barry

What's not to like about the nor-vise bobbin? I have several and they work flawlessly. They are designed to work with the vise that Mr Norlander skillfully designed decades ago. Unless you are using a norvise or other rapid spinning vise you can't take full advantage of the bobbins versatility. The Ekich bobbin is nice but having to reseat the spool would get annoying.

Dont like the clutch on the norvise bobbin and the tube cuts the thread. I use a regal revolution. Spins fast... I have used the Nor-Vise with it but do not like the jaws.

I use Norvise bobbins and have not had a problem with thread cutting. Infact, I have 5 Norvise Bobbins. What I like about them is that once I transfer the tread to the Norvise spools, they are more compact than the commercial thread spools and the Norvise spool case keeps my thread organized. Each case holds 10 spools of thread.

Whether you prefer Ekich or Norvise, it is good to have more than one option for automatic bobbins.

post-27478-0-13849000-1577204587_thumb.jpg

I've played around with a couple of the Ekich bobbin. Note, it is not a suitable replacement for the Nor bobbin on the Nor Vise. The travel is not great enough for it to work as the Nor Bobbin does.
As a piece of engineering, the Ekich is an amazing piece of work. Well designed and well-executed. That said I can't abide them!

• They "feel" really odd to me. I eventually realised that the reason is the "bullet" is at 90 degrees to what I am used to. This means the spool sits at 90 degrees to what I am used to in my hand. I could eventually get used to it but I see no reason to.
  • The other thing is it costs a lot of money to solve a problem I don't have. It is no faster tying with an Ekich, than a standard bobbin for me. I rewind the excess thread from the whip finish in one swift movement rolling the spool down my thumb. This takes no more time than taking the spool off the pin to release the spring. Then, of course, there is the re-threading of the bobbin when you let go of the thread at the wrong time. Something you will do often even when used to the Ekich.

I use both the Nor Vise and a standard vice (either LAW or HMH) depending on the job (kind of flies) at hand. I don't use the Nor Bobbin on my standard vices. I have tried and find no great advantage to it. I do have a technique of rewinding the thread by rolling it down my thumb and can manage 4 or 5 inches in one swift movement. That is enough for almost all my tying. Where it isn't, doing it twice is a very quick movement and not worth the £100 it costs above the price of my most expensive bobbins, to save the little effort required.

Of course, you may feel differently. Your tying might benefit from what the Ekich offers. It is, as I have said a quality piece of engineering, and no doubt will serve you well. To me it is pointless.

Cheers,
C.

i just sent my ekich bobbin back as it doesnt suit my style of handling bobbin holders

plus the thought of having to slightly remove the spool to reset the spring is not something i want to continuosly have to do when tying flies

I have had an Ekich for a couple of years. It sat around most of the time. Mainly because I would always forget to release the tension before I cut the thread and retreading drove me nuts. . In the last 3 months I picked it up again, mainly because I get sick of rewinding thread back on spools. Now that I am use to it I love it but it does take a while to get use to. I still use lots of different bobbins because I like to have thread spooled up but if I am tying a bunch of something I will now grab the ekich and spool it up.