Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
GPflyboy

Can't See

I just posted my first fly (Wooly Bugger) and was ok ,But now tried to tye a prince nymph on a #14 and having trouble seeing detail .What is the best choice of seeing better . By the way i just started wearing reading glasses 1.5 power two years ago,get old stinks

The reading glasses are inevitable lol, you need to see the details, as far as starting to learn and tie new patterns , instead of using # 14. -16-18. , maybe take a # 10. More space ,easier to see the details , then as you become proficient and get the patterns down then start using smaller hooks , I still do this , on a new pattern I'm not familiar/w , it can't hurt lol Then start using smaller hooks , just a tied bit that helped me

Get better reading glasses. There are lights with magnifying lens in them, and magnifying lenses on stands, etc. However, my personal experience with those is, I can't adjust my movements to match the view. If I try too long, I end with a headache.

Go to Dollar Tree and find a pair that gives you the best vision at the distance you tie. For a buck a piece, you can get a few strengths and use the pair that works best.

Oh ... and lighting. You don't have to buy and expensive desk light, but you do want one that can be adjusted close to the fly. Brighter light allows you to see more detail.

I would not recomend the lamp with the magnifying lens built in the center. The adjustable light is fine but I don't like or use the magnifying lens for tying. Go with good lighting and apropiate readers.

Use bigger hooks. I also think the jump from a Woolley bugger to a prince nymph is a little extreme. Possibly start with an easier nymph like a hares ear or PT, each of which are exceptionally effective and time tested. I never could tie under a magnifying glass. I just sit closer.

I also have enhanced my vision on the flie,by tacking up a large Black piece of " poster board in the back round , ?

I also have 2 bright "ott" lights, but sometimes there's a glare ,and adjustment is needed , all in all you will find what works for you,it's a process and you've just begun learn to laugh at yourself , there's been days I was to uptight or critical of self ... I'll put my Bobbin down and walk away , Or it may be the Sally's hard as nails that's got me high lol

Thanks guys, I'll go with better glasses and keep making buggers its just had a material kit for a prince nymph with sz 14 and16 hooks

Thanks guys, I'll go with better glasses and keep making buggers its just had a material kit for a prince nymph with sz 14 and16 hooks

When you get glasses better suited to your needs you might find that Prince ( at least in size 14) isn't so bad to see the details on after all..

Whether you like the details you see or not is another matter LOL !

I can't see worth beans, I especially can't focus after a long stay on a computer screen or cell phone screen. The Doc says it's a combination of my age and cataracts. I was using a magnifier but it halos too much now with the added cataract problem so I just use the light from it and not my regular prescription reading glasses but drug store glasses that are more powerful. Light means a lot, you need that at a slight off angle to your vise so as to raise contrast. It's like the early morning sun on your grass, it looks 3 times taller and much more detailed.than at noon time with the sun straight above.

I'm going to give you my take on this problem/solution.

http://www.edroyproducts.com/magnifocuser1.html

I am an engraver by trade (40 plus years). Back in my younger years I could see a speck on a flea and didn't need any kind of vision correction. Now I use reading glasses and wear almost everyday when engraving the above Magnifocuser in 1.75 power.

When tying flies I wear the same combination and have no problem tying down to size 26 dry flies with all the detail I need and without eye strain. The cost of Magnifocuser is about $25.00 and it will be the best money you ever spent. Period.

I switched my desk lamp to a LED bulb. What a difference it made for me.

Yes, exactly. I added a cheap articulated LED lamp to my desk and it worked wonders for me. HUGE upgrade.

i went to my ophthalmologist and he has done wonders for my eyesight.

both cataracts have been removed and new lenses inserted.

no more prescription lenses but i do use reading glasses for reading and fly tying

maybe an eye exam is in your future. it may help you see better

i tried the led lights and they were not for me. donated them to the goodwill store