Fly Tying

A common question those newer to fly tying ask frequently is, "What's the difference between saddle hackle and capes?" In the following video, I tried to break down the two into basic parts, and even briefly discussed grading systems. Finally, I give specific recommendations towards each, including colors. Feel free to jump in and let me know which you prefer for dry flies, and colors you suggest beginners purchasing first.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas,

TC

Great video TC ! But do you ever drink anything from that mug ? LOL

I agree on Grizzly as number one to buy. I use Grizzly more than any other, then Furnace or Coachman brown and Ginger ( furnace is awesome, just makes for buggy bugs) . I keep limited Dun as well. Between those I can tie most of what I see here in new England or shall I say " close enough".. I am tossed on what is best for a BWO though, I've never owned a specific cape or neck for those but just patch something together between two lighter feathers of my mix above and an olive body. They catch fish but I don't get into a lot BWO hatches either.. I keep Grizzly in three grades because I tie Griffiths Gnats for midge fishing with small, I mix Grizzly and Brown for fluttering caddis or Royal Wolff and Coachman in a bit larger size and up to about size 10. The soft hen for large woolly buggers. I've never owned a full saddle because of this size variation and tend towards capes in Cock and Hen. FWIW. I'd love to own all capes of proper size for each of the flies I tie, economically silly for me though but it would make for easy selection.

On another note, through the years I've managed to grab a good neck here and there of generic branding. If a good one is found it can lead to significant savings.

Thanks for the video ! And merry Christmas !

Dave G

If I could only have one saddle or cape it would have to be a grizzly cape.

If you want to spend a bit more I would prefer rooster saddles in grizzly, brown and dunn. I would also have the same colors in hen capes. I think a hen cape makes for a much better dry fly wing than a rooster cape.

Thanks for all of the kind words, and recommendations so far!

Dave, for starters, yes I do drink coffee out of that mug! I just posted a new video, and I actually take a sip at the beginning! ;-)

Additionally, great recommendations, and lots of information in your post. I really appreciate everything, and hope you and your family have a great Christmas season!

Tim

Great video TC ! But do you ever drink anything from that mug ? LOL

I agree on Grizzly as number one to buy. I use Grizzly more than any other, then Furnace or Coachman brown and Ginger ( furnace is awesome, just makes for buggy bugs) . I keep limited Dun as well. Between those I can tie most of what I see here in new England or shall I say " close enough".. I am tossed on what is best for a BWO though, I've never owned a specific cape or neck for those but just patch something together between two lighter feathers of my mix above and an olive body. They catch fish but I don't get into a lot BWO hatches either.. I keep Grizzly in three grades because I tie Griffiths Gnats for midge fishing with small, I mix Grizzly and Brown for fluttering caddis or Royal Wolff and Coachman in a bit larger size and up to about size 10. The soft hen for large woolly buggers. I've never owned a full saddle because of this size variation and tend towards capes in Cock and Hen. FWIW. I'd love to own all capes of proper size for each of the flies I tie, economically silly for me though but it would make for easy selection.

On another note, through the years I've managed to grab a good neck here and there of generic branding. If a good one is found it can lead to significant savings.

Thanks for the video ! And merry Christmas !

Dave G