Fly Tying
stabgnid

Nice to have Hunter friends !!

A hunter friend of mine call me yesterday an ask me if I would be interested in Ruffled Grouse feathers so of course I said yes so he said he would be over in 5 .He shows up so I figured He would have a big bag of feathers He proceeds to pull out of his hoodie pocket the most beautiful bird that he just shot from his back porch and ask me what feathers I wanted so I said all of them joking he said OK so he took it home and is going to skin it for me all I can say score !!!! This is also the same friend that gave me 16 squirrel tails that he had in his freezer for 2 years !!

Steve-stabgnid

Cruelty to animals is what I call it !!!

Telling us about the great stuff you get for free ... just cruel to us animals !!!

I'm calling PAUTofP.

(Pets Against Unethical Treatment of People)

I just got a bunch of pheasant and turkey feathers from my nice and her husband which I'm turning into flies for them to use in the spring. I used to do a bit of hunting and always kept the feathers from the pheasants and grouse we knocked over once I started fly tying. I still have a couple of squirrel tails that I cured for tying. What I liked to see next time I go squirrel hunting is a black squirrel. They're becoming more common in the city and the suburbs, where I can't hunt them but I've yet to see one in the wild.

Here's a question related to this thread,

A few years back I was given a bunch of tying materials including dozen or so small bags of various wood and mallard duck feathers which were sorted. The guy that gave them to me had intended to learn to tie flies but never got past acquiring some materials. He said a hunter he knew had shot the ducks back in the 80's. Whoever shot them packed the feathers in bags with a white colored fine powder apparently to preserve them. 30+ years later and they are still perfect for tying. Cocaine jokes aside does anyone out there have any idea what this powder might be? I was thinking it might be a type of desiccant but the contemporary stuff I'm seeing on line doesn't look white.

post-63811-0-08454900-1544712035_thumb.jpg

Any of the common powders used ... talc, baby, soda and baking ... will absorb moisture and odors.

From that long ago, I'm guessing "Arm and Hammer" baking powder. Everyone used it as a Refrigerator deodorant at some time or another.

Most likely borax, found on the laundry shelf in the market, it some what bug proofs along with the drying and cleaning of furs and feathers.

The only other white powder that I would associate with drying pelts is alum. more crystalline than powder.

may be dandruff, but I commonly leave borax in the bag and shake it every few months to keep the dandruff in check.

Anyone remember "Death Valley Days" with Ron Reagan and twenty mules?

Not a new thing, borax has been in use hundreds of years.

its even nicer to have a hunter friend who will process the skin for you and keep any little buggies at his house :)

1eiR.gif