Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alex C.

Easy Bug Collecting Container

I started using empty Kraft Parmasian Cheese containers for collecting insect smples on the river. They work awesome! You don't have to unscrew the lid and risk anything flying or crawling out, just pop open the side of the lid for pouring(not shaking), put the bug in and snap it closed.

Cool idea, kinda big for me to be lugging around but you got me brain storming for something downsized. The less fuss the better!

I carry 3 of them with me on bug expeditions, one for nymphs, one for adults, adn one for "the others", sch as crawfish adn minnows. I agree they're a bit big, I bet if you could find a shorter container with the same diameter you could us the lid from the parmesian cheese conainer with it

I use those plastic prescription bottles for dragging insects back home. When you get up around my age there is an endless supply around the house.

reference material for realistics or for regular fly design. Also helps to have the real thing in front of you to help you remember if you are peeling back another layer of our sport and learning the bug names.

I was wondering............

Do you use a chemical to preserve the bug, or do you just let them sit in the water. I would think that over time the would detereiate to an unusable condition.

Randy

I used to use alcohol but now I use witch hazel just as cheap but doesn't discolor like alcohol...

Sign in to follow this