Fly Tying

I want to put a tub in my back yard that's about 15 yards in diameter, and 2 feet tall. What fish can/should I put in there? I have a lot of flies that need to test out. Mabey gold fish. Midget trout?

Here's the thing, if you do that, the fish will no longer be in their natural environment. They are likely to not act at all how they might if they were free swimming, wild fish. Besides that, it's not legal to keep wild fish.

You are much better off to just fish a lot.

Here's the thing, if you do that, the fish will no longer be in their natural environment. They are likely to not act at all how they might if they were free swimming, wild fish. Besides that, it's not legal to keep wild fish.

You are much better off to just fish a lot.

Yup - what Mark said.

There are a lot of problems with what you are thinking. 2ft is not deep enough, how will you keep it from freezing in winter, what about predators eating your fish, etc.

The biggest problem will be the birds eating your fish. I see you live in Alaska, which likely means you have so many fish eating birds around you that within days your fish will be eaten. That's not to mention all the other meat eaters in the woods that will come running to the fresh fish dinner you've setup for them.

Listen to Mark on this one, tie as many flies as you can carry and take them out to try them. Also remember, just because the fly didn't work that day, it might work the next. Don't give up on any of your patterns if you think they'll work!