Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

How do I fix my 8 wt rod?

My freind and I were heading to a resaraunt, and he hit a curb, and he fell and broke my fly rod. How do I fix it?

Exactly where along the rod was the break? What kind of rod was it? Is it crushed or a clean break? Not enough details. Photo would help.

If it's just the tip that's snapped off, buy a tip and put it on where the break is. You'll have a slightly shorter rod.

If it's anywhere else ... your friend might be buying you a new rod.

The rod was broken about 6 inches from the tip, and in some parts it was a little crushed, and one part was a clean brake. I can't take a photo because I left it on the boat.

As Mike said you can put a tip on the tip if it was a clean break. Crushed is never a good thing. I would buy a new rod and keep this one for spare parts for when it happens again

Depends what's crushed, just a guide or the blank itself ? If it's a name brand they can probably wrap up a new tip section for you, usually $35-$50 handling fee. Or you can put a new tip on at the break and the rod is 6 inches shorter with less tip flex. But if the blank got crushed along the shaft forget it. If it's just a crushed guide it can be replaced.

Been there done that between a bunch of us in this family I must say too many times !

A couple inches off the tip is something that can be fixed like Mike said with a new slightly larger tube size tip top. From the sounds of what you are saying though, broke 6" down, and a clean break as well as a crushed part. Sounds like you are saying it is broke in multiple places? If that is the case then it most likely is beyond repair and going to need to be replaced. Is this the Echo rod you recently bought used and were talking about? If so I think Echo does have a lifetime warranty but it'll prob end up costing you around $35/$40 range most likely. Thats what most manufactures charge for a flat rate these days. They will probably want you to send the entire rod into them as well.

Ran into something a year ago that surprised me... After years of hard service my 12wt Thomas & Thomas had a broken tip end (about 10 inches from the top - and it was my fault entirely...). To complicate things it was part of a matched pair a 10 and a 12 wt that I built myself with Powell reelseats and a few tricks I've learned over the years... so I've got some time and experience invested... The Horizon model blank is long discontinued - so imagine my surprise when the folks at T& T said - no problem, just send us the bottom 10 inches of the tip section (two piece rods...) and we'll make what you need - for less than $70... and ship it to you...

Can't say enough good things about this kind of service - and can't name any other premium outfit with service to match... They get an attaboy from this corner...

Bob that's good service. But tell T&T to turn the darn stripping guide the right way will ya? lol laugh.png You ever notice that about their rods? They always install the stripper backwards on them.

If it's the Echo I'd shoot them an email and see what they might do for ya. You might be surprised !

I know other crafters that do that... supposedly it's to lessen the chance of the line you're shooting (on a big double haul...) fouling on that first guide as you're standing in the surf reaching out (and using more body english than a pretty girl -her first time at a bowling alley....).

I get some of those northern fly anglers from time to time and getting one that fishes albies to make a cast on my skiff without any body motion takes some work... and if you rock the boat on your cast in nice shallow "tailing waters" the fish react noticeably....

I don't mess with high end rods any more (Sage cured me... don't ask...) but do see quite a few really nice rods that my anglers bring aboard. Be pretty hard to beat a Thomas & Thomas rod from what I've seen for pure function in the salt...

I think "supposedly" is the key word there lol. I think many years ago someone at the T&T factory came in after a long night out and put it on backwards, then they just ran with it laugh.png

They are nice rods that's for sure. I don't know if they still offer bare blanks but I have built on a few T&T blanks years ago and found them nice quality. That backwards guide on the factory rods just always drove my OCD nuts though wink.png

My schoolie bass 8 wt is a T&T and it's had a keeper or two on before as well, plus it's share of large mouth. Nice rod, got a good deal on it slightly used along with a great older style Redington reel and spare spool ( probably my favorite reel). But I'd never pay the cost of a new one, especially now where I build rods and my full time job is retirement.

My freind and I were heading to a resaraunt, and he hit a curb, and he fell and broke my fly rod. How do I fix it?

The rod was broken about 6 inches from the tip, and in some parts it was a little crushed, and one part was a clean brake. I can't take a photo because I left it on the boat.

If it's the Echo I'd shoot them an email and see what they might do for ya. You might be surprised !

Since the OP never wrote that the rod was an Echo, how do you know?

You must know the OP? I'm just curious.

Since the OP never wrote that the rod was an Echo, how do you know?

You must know the OP? I'm just curious.

TIER has only been a member since May. We ran through a thread he started when he was looking to buy an 8 weight rod.

2 + 2 = This is probably the rod that ended that thread.