Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Dirty Vise Jaws?

Ok guys so I've been noticing that my vise leaves (or strips) some kind of marking and makes the part of the hook that was in the vise look a little dirty/scratched up. Does that affect the hook strength at all, and should I just clean the jaws a bit with a wet napkin? I've had it for about 1.5 years now, and it's a Colorado angler supply easy rotary if that helps...

Flats

As long as its not actually cutting into the wire of the hook, it shouldn't be affecting anything but the looks. Perhaps, it's shortening the saltwater life of the hook, letting corrosion start much sooner.

Clamp a piece of cardboard in there (not corrugated, but like the back of a tablet), just tight enough to provide some tension. Gently pull it out. Preferably, it will slide out and you'll see a film of particles or "dirt" on it. If it grabs, and/or leaves pieces of the cardboard in the jaws, then they'll have to be filed or sanded smooth.

I would worry too much, unless it's unsightly enough to keep people from buying the flies.

I'd clean it first with some alcohol wipes or acetone just to be sure it's not simply grime. If it's cause the jaws are damaged then Mike's right, use cardboard but it's a pain if you're changing lots of hooks.

Flats a pic of a hook and the jaws might help. Mike is correct, see if something like cardboard, paper towel or Q-tip gets torn up then you may need to polish the jaws. Yes I'd clean it but I'd stay away from water based cleaners. If you do need to "polish" the griping surface of the jaws I'd use a piece of crocus paper or the equivalent to do so, Just insert and apply a little pressure with the yaws and then pull out the paper. Turn paper over and do the other side, repeat until jaws are polished.