Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Couple days fishing

Well the planned trip I was looking forward too is somewhat of a bust. As luck would have it it started raining the morning we got up there and it rained for about 12hrs straight pretty much making the trout water sections of the river unwadable. So I decided that I would just come home this morning with my buddy and post pone my 10 day alone on the river trip till sometime next month. While it sucks that I had to postpone that, I guess you have to make the best of it and now I can look forward to that trip for another month until it happens.

We did make the best of the 2 days we were there at least. We decided to head about 35 miles down river to where the flow was more steady. No trout in that section since its warm water fishing, but we did get into a bunch of 12-14" smallmouth, some small pike, and a couple of pretty decent walleye all while stripping streamers on the spey rods which was fun.

dLV8pS.jpg
t4XBHq.jpg
qKKgur.jpg
V3bhCp.jpg
DsDNbW.jpg
XFi6Cd.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/240/vMSGnQ.jpg
qjLuBG.jpg
u39Esm.jpg
WlIiWs.jpg
qtppWh.jpg
70BScq.jpg
tYSklA.jpg
G3EE69.jpg
uEiXfQ.jpg

Excellent haul for only 2 days fishing !!! Glad you got to go, even if you didn't get the solitary experience you were seeking. As you said, anticipation is almost as good as the experience.

Do you eat those Walleye? I might have cleaned a couple of those Smallmouth, but I DEFINITELY would've kept the Walleye.

Naw I haven't kept a fish in probably 20 yrs. I love to eat fish, just don't like to keep/clean any these days anymore.

Yeah it sucks that I was not able to do my 7-10 days alone like planned. Gotta stay positive though, now I can look at it as having another month or so to save even more money for the trip and be able to stay even longer maybe.

Happy planning for the next trip Steve! There is no substitute for that tugging and playing fish on the fly rod!

If it makes you feel better, I went out today to fish an already high muddy river that continued to rise all day and caught nothing. I did replace the bunks on my trailer and tested my new anchor and cradle, winner winner.

Postponing the trip for better conditions and fishing was the smart thing to do. I know I wouldn't have gone out today if I didn't have to replace the bunks. By the way, that river looks very boatable unless your camera makes water look bigger. Why not the boat?

Glad you got into some fish even though the weather wasn't cooperating! I agree with Poopdeck -- you did the smart thing by postponing until you can get the experience you're looking for.

Nice vest btw. :)

If it makes you feel better, I went out today to fish an already high muddy river that continued to rise all day and caught nothing. I did replace the bunks on my trailer and tested my new anchor and cradle, winner winner.

Postponing the trip for better conditions and fishing was the smart thing to do. I know I wouldn't have gone out today if I didn't have to replace the bunks. By the way, that river looks very boatable unless your camera makes water look bigger. Why not the boat?

The lower unit in his engine blew up if I recall right. Not sure with all that went on recently he would have got that fixed. Then again I could be wrong.

You're right Dave. Lower unit went late last summer and just haven't had the time or extra cash to fix it yet so not boat for me this year.

Bryon I have got to where I use that pack I got from you pretty much all the time now. The onlt time I use my other vest now is when I am steelheading just because I carry so much more for them. Love the pack for summer fishing though it is great.

Rich all three of the walleye I caught took an articulated tan baby brown trout fly I tie which is about half way down the page here http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=88521&page=2