Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tctrout

Small Flies

I've not kept up-to-date in the world of tiny flies (i.e. midges!), thus anyone know which hooks (available) are around in the size 30 range?

Thanks, and any links to purchase would be great!

Tim

I had a source for 30 and 32 but it dried up. You can get down to 28 fairly easily but I don't think they make anything smaller anymore. I like tying 20-24 but smaller gets nasty for old hands and eyes. My crown prince is 26 with hackle tip wings but doubt I could even do them again. I am just completing a series of BWO with a 20 Biot and hackle, a 22 Biot and CDC, and a 24 parachute. These I still consider fun but only on a limited run. Nice thing about doing these it make 14s and 16s seem like shark hooks when you go back to them.

http://www.tenkarabum.com/midge-hooks.html is a link to "real" hooks down to 30 and Tanago hooks that I might just order to see what they're like. I've ordered before from the bum and got prompt service, bonus materials to try, and an invite to call anytime to talk tiny flies or Tenkara.

Just remember that the 2300 #30 hook is not only small, it is also 4x fine - compared to the 518 it is very fragile!