Fly Tying
McFlyLures

Redington Classic Trout

Hey guys, looking at getting this rod. Anyone use it before? I am interested in your thoughts on it. For the price, it seems like a good deal. But if it sucks, I guess its not a good deal no matter how inexpensive it is. I want the 7'6" 2wt for the small creeks up by me. I was thinking of pairing it with some 2wt double taper line. Thoughts?

For an inexpensive manufactured rod I've been very pleased with the Echo Base, but I haven't tried it down to a 2wt, also haven't tried the Reddington you mention...

I would check on Sierra trading post to they recently restocked the fishing stuff online and have a ton of fly rods and reels very discounted.

I have the Classic Trout in a 4 wt, 9ft and I love it. I have a lot of rods (more than I need according to my wife) some quite expensive and yet I probably use this more than any of them for dries and small nymphs and wets. Keep in mind this is a medium to medium fast action rod I would say the feel of it is much like the St Croix Avid series so if your looking to throw a bunch of line 100 ft its probably not for you. You indicated you wanted it for small streams so I think it would be perfect. AND you cant beat the price!

Thank you, good to hear. Yeah I dont need to cast 100 feet to the back side of a large river. This will be for small creeks that I dont have to cast more than 30 feet. It will be all roll casts honestly. At least 90% roll casts. Thanks for this, I will get it! :)

I would check on Sierra trading post to they recently restocked the fishing stuff online and have a ton of fly rods and reels very discounted.

Oh I am not buying it retail. I go to Sierra a lot though. This one I am getting used, for super cheap. LOL

I don't know anything about it. So I did a quick check on reviews.

Nobody's got anything bad to say about it.

Description I read:

"Its fluid bend runs nearly all the way down to the cork, soft in the tip, stiffening gradually as the bend moves closer to the handle."

I don't like what I consider "soft" rods. Too much "whip" to the rod feels bad to me. I just grew up with stiffer rods. Based on the description, this sounds like a very soft rod.

If you get it, pictures and videos of it in action, please !!!

I don't know anything about it. So I did a quick check on reviews.

Nobody's got anything bad to say about it.

Description I read:

"Its fluid bend runs nearly all the way down to the cork, soft in the tip, stiffening gradually as the bend moves closer to the handle."

I don't like what I consider "soft" rods. Too much "whip" to the rod feels bad to me. I just grew up with stiffer rods. Based on the description, this sounds like a very soft rod.

If you get it, pictures and videos of it in action, please !!!

I know, I read reviews also, but sometimes if I don't know the person reviewing it its hard to trust them. Thats why I wanted you guys to tell me. LOL

Yeah I like stiff rods for streamer fishing. I know you do more lake fishing for bass and stuff, and I would feel the same with the stiff action there as well. But for small creeks, the slow action rods like this are what I wanted.

I will do a review if you want... However mine will be a 2wt. Not sure if your interested in a 2wt?

I have a 4wt CT and love it. Will only replace it if I break it which I probably won't. I prefer having money in my retirement account and not my rod rack so take it for what it's worth but I think it's a great rod.

I think any Moderate Fast action 7'6" rod will be easy to adapt your casting style to. I don't know how much the brand really matters. I use a Cortland 7' GF1000 with slip ring reel seat and it's never let me down, ever in 25 years of using it for small stream fishing.. That GF series had nice hard chrome guides too, so it has worn well. It's a 3 wt, I load it with 4 wt line for short casting and flipping or tossing line. I just use wt forward line and let the belly do the work. Some streams I just flip it out and then feed some line out, let the current take the line down stream a little ways and jig it back in using mini streamers and soft hackles with very little weight to them. Again,I don't think the rod brand matters a hoot. Adapting your fishing style does matter.

Hey guys, looking at getting this rod. Anyone use it before? I am interested in your thoughts on it. For the price, it seems like a good deal. But if it sucks, I guess its not a good deal no matter how inexpensive it is. I want the 7'6" 2wt for the small creeks up by me. I was thinking of pairing it with some 2wt double taper line. Thoughts?

I have a Redington Classic Trout - 9ft - 5wt. Really like it... fast action rod that worked well using WF 6wt and 5wt lines. Recently, been using an OPST Commando Head and one-handed spey casting with it.

Here is a quick demo. Nothing fancy... Switch Cast and a modified "Perry Poke" gets an easy 21 yard cast. Lots of fun casting this rig; even more fun when a fish is on the line!Quick Demo - OPST Commando Head.