Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Felt Soles a problem?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,500 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 10:41 PM

I got a pair of felt soles during the summer but I have heard only horror stories about using them during the winter. I have read that the felt will ice up when walking in the snow. Is this a big problem? Getting another pair of boots is not an option at this point.

blink.gif

test

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,945 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 10:46 PM

YES!!!!!!!

Will felt and snow dont mix bud. The snow will pack up on the felt and within 50 ft of walking you will be 3" taller(in your case that may be a good thing tongue.gif )

Serously bud if you can aford to do something before Erie then do it because with your ankles like they are from the wreck you dont need to be walking on shoes that are packed with snow and unstable.

What size do you were i might have something that could get you by?

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#3 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,500 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 10:48 PM

Thought that would be a problem, damn.

Wear a size 9 rolleyes.gif

mad.gif

test

#4 ridderbos3

ridderbos3

"Sorry boss I seem to have anal glaucoma. I just cant see my ass going to work today"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 10:48 PM

Yeah Will what size? I have an extra pair of size 11 or 12 I think

with a rubber lug sole, but no ankle support to speak of

#5 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,945 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 10:51 PM

hmmmmm i think i have a extra pair of 12's but youd have to wear 5 pairs of socks laugh.gif

Let me talk to keith i think he wears a 10 and see if he has anything extra layin around for the trip you could use.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#6 wickedcarpenter

wickedcarpenter

Hello my names Brent...and i'm a Swapaholic,but i can quit anytime i want..really!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 10:58 PM

LoL! Yeppers you'll be looking like Gene Simmons if them felt soles hit snow.
i think i've had about 7" snow platforms before on the Betsie River.
Hopefully you guys have great weather while your there and all your flies don't unravel devil.gif Wish i could make it.
Brent.

#7 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,945 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 11:00 PM

Brent just send me some of your stones to fish with and that way you can be there "in spirit" whistling1.gif dunno.gif laugh.gif

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#8 wickedcarpenter

wickedcarpenter

Hello my names Brent...and i'm a Swapaholic,but i can quit anytime i want..really!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 11:17 PM

LoL! May the Pink Sucker Spawn be with you flex.gif Try some size 16 or smaller Brassies,i heard good word about using em in Erie. WORD!

#9 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,945 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 11:18 PM

Damn Skippy bud! laugh.gif wink.gif

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#10 Fly1

Fly1

another damn Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 01:40 AM

I strap on a pair of ice cleats that covers the felt and provides a rubber sole with steel cleats for the ice and snow.

Ken cool.gif
Credit River Cane Rods
<span style='color:blue'>Ken Paterson, Streetsville, Ontario</span>

#11 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,945 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 01:52 AM

I had tried a pair of cleats on mine felts once ken but they didnt cover the felt very well, were you able to find some that completley covered the felt?? if so who makes them?

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#12 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 03:06 AM

Yeah, you don't want to be walking in felt in the snow. You'll look like you're a backup for KISS during the 70's. LOL.

Actually, this would be MUCh easier for you to do. I have big feet, so finding bigger shoes was a pain. But what I did, and is cheap to do, is go to goodwill and buy a cheap pair of oversized shoes. Usually have to go up 2 sizes. Normally find old rubber boots. Then cut them off so they are like a slipper. Just slid them over your wading boots and go. Usually you'll have enough laces to lace them up a bit. Then just take them off at the water. Was cool when I was able to toss those out. My buddy who works for the local fire department, gave me an old set of "overboots" that are used for dress shoes, etc for fire inspectors. Luckily, they were overshoes for like a size 14. So are snug, but work in my wading shoes/boots. Now if it snows, which doesn't happen often, I'm set.

#13 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 07:58 AM

Got the solution, but haven't done it to mine.

Felt and snow do not mix. After a few minutes it's like walking on bowling balls.

Take the boots to a shoe repair and have them install a thin layer of golosh soling. This stuff is about 3/16" and can be peeled off for Summer use.
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#14 DFix

DFix

New and improved, guaranteed to handle 3.4 gigs of translation per minute!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 09:51 AM

Jerry has the right idea (take it from ages-old experience wheelchair.gif )

Buy a pair of slush boots- the kind concrete finishers wear - "overshoes" or "overboots" or a pair of Tingley pull-on boots or a pair of the buckle rubbers guys wear on the job to fit over your get-up.

Before you pull on a pair of overboots, put a plastic grocery bag on each foot to help slide the foot both into the boot and the boot off of the foot. Any snowpack you pick up while wading, getting in and out of the water, quickly melts off when your feet are in the water, as you know. You really shouldn't care about what you look like with the boots on.

Then, in your kitbag you can carry your spiked Korkers or whatever.

#15 Fly1

Fly1

another damn Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 12:00 PM

Here's a link to the cleats that cover the felt completely
Icers
Ken cool.gif
Credit River Cane Rods
<span style='color:blue'>Ken Paterson, Streetsville, Ontario</span>