Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Need some advice...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hexfli

hexfli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:59 AM

Gearing up for the upcoming season I notice one of my fly lines ( a RIO Clouser 6 Weight floater) has a scuff mark, looks kinda like it was scoured against something sharp. You can see the core of the fly line and this mark is about 30 feet from the tip. Will this be detrimental to the lines performance or should I get a new line?
-Love'em and Leave'em

-Whip it and Strip it-

Eli

Trophy Flies for Trophy Fish @ GreatLakesFly.com

SMALLIE-FEST 2010-May 21/22/23 2010-Huron County Michigan-BE THERE

"A little luck never hurt any fisherman..." ~Sig Hanson

#2 jcstikfish

jcstikfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 11:30 AM

I don't think it will be a major problem. Get some U-V Knot-sense by Loon Products. Put a light coating on the scuff. This should be all the protection you need.

~James
www.autumnbrookangling.com
Custom Flies and NJ Guide Service

#3 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:35 PM

I've tried fixing fly lines, even tried the loon stuff none worked for very long. I found that the loon knot sense didn't shoot through the guides very well, it isn't slick like the line is. You might as well start saving your pennies for a new line.
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#4 Fontinalis

Fontinalis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:16 PM

Unless money is a little tight for you right now, just go buy a new fly line and end this issue. THis is what I would do. This way you have a new line, forget about the nick and your thoughts are clear on one thing while on stream, FISHING, if not then your thinking will this damb line hold and pay less attention to the fishing aspect. When I go on stream my equipment is always good to go.

Andy B
A Genuine Wet Fly Angler

#5 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 06:40 AM

Is it a double taper line? if so cut it off at the mark and attach that end to your backing. If it is not and the knot sense does not seem good to you . Guess what now you have a new level running line. Dont throw it away as it will still work regardless if the head of the line is gone. Harder to cast but it will get you through in a jam. I see sceintific anglers has a new line to leader connector that they say will not effect casting hold better than a knot and will go through the guides well . I cant remember what it is called, they come in different sizes. Ill look it up, the only problem I can see there is that one end is for your line the other for the leader might not work. You can also put a nail knot on each end of your fly line with a perfection loop to connect the parts togther. Cover the connection with heat shrink tubbing. just a few ideas to throw arround in your head
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain