Fly Tying
Peterjay

No Lifeguards on Duty

Yep, there wasn't a lot of swimming going on about this time. I was doing a show up in Maine a few years ago, when a guy came into my booth, took one look, and asked me "Man, does bad weather follow you around?" It doesn't, (I don't think) but I do like to get out there in the elements: gloom, fog, rain, cold, snow, whatever. I draw the line at hurricanes and tornadoes, but just about everything else is fair game. These images were shot while sane people were sitting in front of roaring fires, drinking hot beverages. Wusses.

post-281-0-64813900-1493140341_thumb.jpg

post-281-0-14536100-1493140364_thumb.jpg

I could handle that! And i'm sure the Canadian members here too! If someone can stand outside to take a pic? We can stand out there & fish it!😀

I will fish through wind, rain, blistering heat or cold, but if there is lightning close by, I seek shelter. Once I was fishing a little pond, alone, and it was thundering and storming and whatever. 5 mins later, the loudest noise I've ever heard and a tree next split down the middle, blackened from the strike. That scared me and I will never make that mistake again and thats a guarantee lol

Yeah, I should have mentioned lightning. Years ago, I was working in a warehouse that had a railroad siding right outside the door, and a chain link fence about 50 feet away. I was standing in the doorway watching a downpour, when lightning hit the fence and made a sizzling sound from all the water on it. I told a guy passing by that he should have seen that - it was scary. He stood and looked out the door, drawing one of my smart-ass remarks: "Hey, dumb-ass, what're you looking at? You think it's gonna strike twice?" No sooner had I opened my mouth than lightning hit the railroad tracks right in front of us, scaring the living hell out of both of us. If it had been any closer, I would have had to regrow my beard. I guess the other guy wasn't as dumb as I thought.

Pete ... you can call me a "wuss" all you want ... but I ain't standing out in that weather for any hobby. And a job would have to pay big money before I'd stand out there for work.

I don't even like the pictures ... because looking at them sends a shiver down my back.

I hate the cold and I am not ashamed to admit it.

Jeez, and this from a guy who travels to Liberia during an ebola epidemic. Mike, I'm afraid the time is drawing near when you'll be spending most of your time in a rocking chair, wrapped in a shawl, watching Lawrence Welk reruns, with 150 cats covering every surface in the house. Say it ain't so, Mike; say it ain't so.

laugh.png Funny, Pete !!!

But, Liberia was WARM !!!

I'm not the guy who'll be watching Welk reruns. I'll be the one who sitting on the chair on the front porch, yelling at all the kids in the neighborhood, "Get OFF my lawn !!!" mad.gif

laugh.png

A nice touch would be to go down to the pound and pick up a nice, mild-mannered pit bull, smear a bunch of red food coloring around his mouth, (the sloppier the better) and have him lie down on the front steps. When he sees the kids, he'll get up to go say hello, but the beady-eyed little SOBs won't be sticking around long enough to figure out that he's actually friendly. Of course, your mail carrier might stop delivering and start tossing your mail into the river, but it's probably mostly bills anyway. Just think of the reputation you'll enjoy once word gets around.