Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DarrellP

Bream flies

I noticed in a previous topic that someone mentioned using longer hooks for Bream to aide in unhooking. Does ànd one use a "cricket hook"? Seems like you could tie one similar to a tarpon fly. I am gonna try it.

i too carry forceps to dislodge the hook but i use barbless hooks to make it even easier

i would not use a "cricket hook" (never heard of them until now)

4XL Aberdeen = "cricket hook"

I've used them for streamers, but think a wider gape is better than longer shank, jmo.

Forceps and barbless for me, too, although I had a guy demonstrate the Ketchum Release to me a couple weeks ago and will likely end up with one of them.

A small stick with a notch in the end works well to remove most deep hooks.

Yeah a chop stick with one end flat n a notch cut right in the center. Place the line on the notch n guide it to the hook, give a short up n down pull n it's out! It takes plactice!

I found a picture of "pencil" popper, or what's left of one, that I tied on a size 4 cricket hook when I first started tying. Here's a picture of it.

post-309-0-28064200-1549763705_thumb.jpg

For perspective, body of the popper is 1 1/2". Just to confirm to confirm I pulled a size 4 and a size 10 out of the hook box I store them in. The shank length is 1 1/2". A size 10 hook's shank is 1" long. So it's more like 6XL. Not a good hook to tie bream flies on. Except maybe for a popper. An Aberdeen Crappie hook in size 10 in gold or bronze would work. I haven't found them smaller than that. I use them in larger sizes for poppers, woolly buggers, some bait fish patterns and Calcasieu Pig Boats. I have an on going argument with the past president of one the fly fishing clubs I belong to about the size of bream flies. He insists on size 12 for bugs and size 10 for poppers. I very seldom tie them smaller than a size 10, mainly on size 8 or size 6, and I'll go up to a size 4. Rather than a longer hook you might consider going up or size or two. The fly in the picture is tied on either a size 6 or 8 1XL hook. Can't confirm since I don't have the fly anymore. I tie a similar fly in those sizes.

post-309-0-95124700-1549765566_thumb.jpg

I use forceps and if I forget them, a Chevy key works well too. If you put too much effort into preventing a "what if" scenario, you will end up with a fly that is less effective. I find that standard trout flies work better than any poppers. For floating flies, I've used other dry flies, but most of the time, I use Elk Hair Caddis (also a Moose version) and Royal Griffith's Gnat because they float well. Sizes are usually #14 or #12. I rarely have them swallow the hook very far in top-water situations. Nymph fishing can be different but forceps work well.

I also use forceps and fish a hopper or popper/dropper service up.my most effective flies are a cajun coachman, McGinty, or black nymph.

I'm not a fan of long shanks, my favorite panfish flies are, soft hackle carrot fly, a variant (color) of Tom Lentz's brim fly, and foam spiders and small poppers.

I've always had a fascination with what we fresh water folks call "pencil poppers" The only use I've found for cricket hooks, other than using them to fish crickets, is to tie pencil poppers for pan fish. These are tied on size 10 cricket hooks. I've finished a half dozen and have a few more bodies to use up.

post-309-0-17247700-1550282256_thumb.jpg

I found a picture of "pencil" popper, or what's left of one, that I tied on a size 4 cricket hook when I first started tying. Here's a picture of it.

attachicon.gif P4150204.JPG

That thing looks like an old, wet cigarette haha.

You'd look like wet cigarette if you got chewed on by about 20 snapper blues, :). I learned that day that the snapper blues can be as nasty as their adult counterparts. There's still an old dried blood spot on the grip of the rod I used that day. Got my finger too close to one's mouth when I was unhooking it. Spent an hour or so fishing with a handkerchief wrapped around my finger to stop the bleeding.

What I was originally trying to convey was using a cricket hook and tying a regulation size bug near the bend, leaving the shank exposed, like a tarpon fly. I am gonna try it. I have been tied up with work and other obligations and haven't had time to tie for a couple of weeks.

Darrell buddy, I see your problem, your priorities are all screwed up. ...."work and other priorities" like what? family, bills...smile.png rolleyes.gif biggrin.png laugh.png bah!