Fly Tying
dawgvet

Splitting microfibbet tails?

I was looking for tips on how to split microfibbet tails? Any good online videos or books that illustrate this very well? I've basically read two methods: using the tag end of tying thread to pull up and divide the tails, or figure-eight wraps to divide them. I kinda get the pull-up-the-tag method but I've had difficulty with the figure eight wrap method I've seen on a Davie McPhail video. Any tips appreciated.

Thanks

Jed

I was looking for tips on how to split microfibbet tails?

Let me preface my comments by saying that I don't worry about splitting tails all that much. While split tails make a fly look good to you (and me), I'm not sure trouts see splits as clearly. But, when I want to tie a good RS2, I make a small dubbing ball on the hook, right where the tails will be tied in, before tying on the microfibbets. I tie one at a time. You can also make a little lump of thread to help the tails split. Works fairly well for me. The figure 8 wraps always seem to cant the tails at odd angles when I try that technique, so the tiny dubbing ball is my go-to technique.

Added a photo to clarify the idea:

IMG_0184-M.jpg

I exaggerated the dubbing ball so it would show up better in the photo. You don't need much! I have two fibbets tied in, but only one shows up. Sorry for the poor quality pic. Give it a try!

Check some of Hans Weilenmanns flies. He tends to use finger nail to push up the tail against the hook bend and this promotes a flair split. Then takes tying thread in and they look great.

1. dubbing ball method

7_6.jpg

2. ball of thread method

030422fsgoldenstone2.jpg

3. single thread method as shown in link above

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/details.cfm?parentID=59

4. loop of thread method

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/details.cfm?parentID=18

5. tie them in 1 at a time

http://www.flyfishersrepublic.com/tying/dry-fly-split-tail/

The Hockley Method of tying split microfibbet tails:

Bud Hockley of Baltimore Maryland devised a method of tying spit or fan tails which is both elegant and simple . This method was described in the 1985 September issue (vol 16, issue 6) of Fly Fisherman Magazine, pg 36 by none other than John Betts, the originator of microfibbets.

Tie in the microfibbets using an even number of fibers to the top of the hook taking the tying thread back to where you would like to split the tail. Using a bodkin in your non-dominant hand, place the bodkin needle parallel to the hook so that it lies at the level of the hook and next to it along the shank of the hook from back to front, with the tip of the needle toward the eye of the hook. The hook and bodkin needle should be separated by about a cm.

Now take the next thread wrap over the bodkin needle and then under the microfibbets but above the hook shank so that the thread is between the hook and the microfibbets. Using the bodkin needle as a guide, angle the needle, so you place the thread tie so that it lies as far forward as it can go between the shank and the microfibbets. Then let the thread slip off of the front end of the needle. Do that several times until the microfibbets are canted up from the hook. Then place a tie around the top of the microfibbets, using the bodkin needle to split the tails and tie the split tails down in position.

This method essentially does the same thing a building up a thread ball and then tieing the microfibbets over it. However it allows you to split the tails with a smaller and cleaner looking fly because only a few wraps are needed to split the tails. Try it on your smallest flies to avoid a relatively large dubbing bump for the size of the fly.

HockleyTailingMethod.jpg

i usually just pull each fibbet at a time to the side and it kinks them enough to stay splayed, its kinda like when your forming bug legs on certain things

SilverCreek,

That sounds like a great method but I would like a picture or two. Any chance you have that issue of FFM? I wonder if they still have back issues that far?

Thanks Again,

Jed

hockley tail method is shown in the 'fly tiers benchside reference to techniques and dressing styles' book on page 87 as are many other methods already mentioned

its a must have book in every tyers library (imo)

i also sent you a pm